Download Link Missing (Windows 95 Demo)

edited May 2015 in Site Issues
I was looking at downloading this Windows 95 Demo image, and it shows the normal "Thanks for downloading from WinWorld, your primary source for abandonware and beta software. Please select the mirror you wish to download from below." message, however, no mirror is actually listed, so i can't actually download the image.

Comments

• It looks like Mirror 1 is temporarily off line. There were some bandwidth issues with it. Unfortunately, newer contributions are only on Mirror 1. It should be back soon.
  • This place and some of its people are seriously depressing and I have been distancing myself for a week or so now. My care is so far gone I did not bother to make any form of announcement.

Yes, we blew through 20TB in a month *again* (and there's no OSBA leak this time to contribute to that usage). Downloads on the first mirror are offline until I can do some sorting through what if anything, caused this to happen again and put some additional protections in place. I don't think we can blame China this time, I have numerous reports we're finally outright blocked in the mainland shit hole. Fixing this up requires my time to do however and frankly it's a 75*F day outside why the fuck would I sit here and fix things when I can get outside on my bicycle and enjoy this day?

What in the fuck am I doing all of this for anyway? So some bratty 12 year old fucking kids can whine some more when they don't get exactly what they want? So some god damn selfish Chinese can put in hot links when we explicitly request not to? So some dumb kids can suggest download managers that bypass our protections when we clearly do not want those used? I put in some daily limits, people bitch. I put in connection speed throttling, people bitch. Anything I attempt to do to contain usage and prevent abuse results in people bitching.

Go fuck yourselves guys.

Frankly the more people whine and bitch about this issue the longer I will take to resolve it. Give me a fucking reason to keep wasting my time on this damn thing.
  • Indeed people, please keep in mind WinWorld is at most a side project of the lowest priority. While it would fantastic if WinWorld was a income-generating website that allowed us to hire people dedicated to fixing and maintaining issues that keep popping up, that simply isn't going to happen.

stitch is the only one knowledgeable enough and even remotely willing to work on WinWorld, and I am grateful for that and so should everyone else. WinWorld wouldn't be nearly as popular, ironically generating less complaints, if it wasn't for stitch's efforts.

Hopefully in the future I'll be able to work more on bugs and features as I learn more but until then, keep your goddamn pants on. The best thing to remember is, if something major is broken, we already know. We visit the site multiple times a day and are well aware THE SERVER IS BEING SLOW AS SHIT etc, you don't need to join IRC announcing it.
  • The problem that will only get worse as time goes on is we've made it far too easy to get a hold of this stuff. At least back in the day we actually had to put some effort into looking for oldschool software, so we got used to 404s, expired domains and slow as shit servers.

Now that places like here have almost everything you could want and pretty fast, it means when shit does go down we get 10x the shit over it.
  • Skora please don't take my post as an attack direct on you because that certainly was not my intention I kind of just hijacked your thread to do general venting.

BOD does make a point that it has grown far too easy to obtain these things compared to "back in the day" although despite all the discussions I've had on various IRC channels about public vs. private services I still maintain, alongside Duff, that we need to maintain public accessibility.

I have been cramming on code last night and am trying to resume tonight and if I can keep focused and concentrated I might be able to roll something out here within the next day or two. This roll-out would be a limited version of development trunk (board code not included!) that would function with the beefier mirror control. This will allow us to push contributed uploads up to additional mirror servers automagically and give us far more statistical tracking and early warning of abuse and bandwidth constraints. We will also have the ability to remove abusive users through netfilter across the entire fleet.

We have had the Mirror 1 offline since May and guess what, I am still seeing a metric shitton of traffic towards this. I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I am keeping things offline just a little while longer while I filter through that traffic and ban high use. There is no reason wdl1 should still be getting download traffic as that's coming direct through various means and all download traffic should be originating from the site. I've banned several 3rd world IPs with thousands of hits in the access log to 7zip downloads. The top IP is some South African IP that made almost 7000 requests.

Again guys, we are a public resource and you have to all share.

SomeGuy I know you have been on me lately because you want to get some uploads processed and I have been lagging major ass on that and I am sorry. I do thank you for having the most devotion to this site out of all of us staff and please just bear with me as I get the rest of this fixed up so you can get back to processing the goods. It will be far easier to fix up the remaining mirrors if we wait to finish uploads with this new stuff.
  • stitch wrote:
    Skora please don't take my post as an attack direct on you because that certainly was not my intention I kind of just hijacked your thread to do general venting.
    Thank you for that stitch, and i apologize if i inconvenienced you with this thread. I am forever grateful for what you, Duff, and SomeGuy are doing (and have done) here and as BOD stated, many take this for granted. I am certainly not one of those people, especially after reading your post.

After reading through the rest of your most recent post in this thread, i understand why you vented, as a matter of fact, i'm surprised you didn't like demote me to "River Swimmer" or something like that out of impulse. (Yes that's something i truly thought you were gonna do, and i'm sorry for thinking that way. I tend to take this kind of stuff personally)
    Duff wrote:
    Please keep in mind WinWorld is at most a side project of the lowest priority. While it would be fantastic if WinWorld was a income-generating website that allowed us to hire people dedicated to fixing and maintaining issues that keep popping up, that simply isn't going to happen.
    Until you posted this Duff, i had no idea this was the case. I've only been a part of this community for about 8 months now, and clearly i have much to learn about this place.
    Even if this is a side project, it's a great one at that, and i thank you guys so much for doing this.
  • stitch wrote:
    SomeGuy I know you have been on me lately because you want to get some uploads processed and I have been lagging major ass on that and I am sorry. I do thank you for having the most devotion to this site out of all of us staff and please just bear with me as I get the rest of this fixed up so you can get back to processing the goods. It will be far easier to fix up the remaining mirrors if we wait to finish uploads with this new stuff.

Sure, no need to hurry on my account anyway. As long as I know it's on your "todo" list I'll just queue things up locally.
  • I would like to clarify in regards to WinWorld being a 'side project' - I was referring more to the effort/time stitch, SomeGuy and others put into it. It's something worked on typically in what would otherwise be free time; there are no dedicated/paid staff running WinWorld. It's us few stoners/drunks/coders/enthusiasts keeping WinWorld alive.

The main point I think I'm trying to make is, even though WinWorld is a low-priority project in terms of work being done, I value it highly and have an attachment to this site. I personally will do everything I can to keep WinWorld alive and accessible in the months and years to come. I feel driven and in a way obligated to, with this site being 'my' creation (not trying to devalue the massive contributions of others at all) I want it to continue thriving and growing for years to come.

WinWorld is quite literally the only thing I've created that has survived for so long, in terms of 'original work'. I never expected WinWorld to become the site it is today, from that terrible Bravenet website I created in early 2003. It's thanks to everyone here, both present and past (people like KDog, Q, WinMan31) that made WinWorld what it is today.
  • Just to give you guys an update I have the new mirror control code finished. This control code allows for an SSH connection to be made and for files to be pushed over to other mirrors via SCP. Small files (10MB or under) will be pushed live for admins in their browser - anything larger will be queued up on a background cron-job so they re not suspect able to PHP timeout limits. This is in a PHP class rather than just scattered procedural code as it was beforehand.

I am working on the downloads now taking the currently live procedural code and moving it into a class. There is a redesigned SA panel for each download that will show more traffic stats and the like. After this post I will be working on implementing the "push" UI so we can send prior contributions to wdl2.

I will also be doing a few bug fixes in the contributions and add in the ability to push the downloads to other mirrors in that process.

I need to fix up a few things like the homepage (I ripped out the phpBB references in dev due to new board code which is not finished yet). We also will not be able to add any additional VIPs after this is rolled out so welcome ampharos, dosbox and Skora to this group now. This will be changed when I write some temp. intermediate code or roll out new boards.
  • stitch wrote:
    Just to give you guys an update I have the new mirror control code finished. This control code allows for an SSH connection to be made and for files to be pushed over to other mirrors via SCP. Small files (10MB or under) will be pushed live for admins in their browser - anything larger will be queued up on a background cron-job so they re not suspect able to PHP timeout limits. This is in a PHP class rather than just scattered procedural code as it was beforehand.

I am working on the downloads now taking the currently live procedural code and moving it into a class. There is a redesigned SA panel for each download that will show more traffic stats and the like. After this post I will be working on implementing the "push" UI so we can send prior contributions to wdl2.

I will also be doing a few bug fixes in the contributions and add in the ability to push the downloads to other mirrors in that process.

I need to fix up a few things like the homepage (I ripped out the phpBB references in dev due to new board code which is not finished yet). We also will not be able to add any additional VIPs after this is rolled out so welcome ampharos, dosbox and Skora to this group now. This will be changed when I write some temp. intermediate code or roll out new boards.

Just let us all know when we can download all of the things from Mirror 1 of moved from Mirror 1 to mirror 2, okay!
  • anabate wrote:
    stitch wrote:
    Just to give you guys an update I have the new mirror control code finished. This control code allows for an SSH connection to be made and for files to be pushed over to other mirrors via SCP. Small files (10MB or under) will be pushed live for admins in their browser - anything larger will be queued up on a background cron-job so they re not suspect able to PHP timeout limits. This is in a PHP class rather than just scattered procedural code as it was beforehand.

Just let us all know when we can download all of the things from Mirror 1 of moved from Mirror 1 to mirror 2, okay!

Can you go be useless elsewhere? You're really annoying me.
  • Skora wrote:
    I was looking at downloading this Windows 95 Demo image, and it shows the normal "Thanks for downloading from WinWorld, your primary source for abandonware and beta software. Please select the mirror you wish to download from below." message, however, no mirror is actually listed, so i can't actually download the image.

Skora, you sure are right, that sure is a mystery!
  • The real mystery here is the chronic lack of reading ability amongst some of our visitors.
  • After reading anabate's posts, I find myself suddenly reminded of those annoying hosts on children's television. "You're right! That's a mystery. Can you help us solve it?" I just imagine some jackass in a bright blue outfit along with some kind of animal sidekick beckoning to an invisible and ever silent observer.
  • Why does this guy make me think of the InstallShield guy whose name I have forgotten?
  • Because anabate and PaleeoFeo are both extremely useless and annoying?

Unfortunately they are not the same thing.