cpu over heating

edited May 2015 in Hardware
I have a asus m5a97 le r2.0 motherboard with a amd fx-6300 cpu. It work great until a week ago when it started to over heat. I clean all the fans and blew air to blow the dust out of it. I have 4 case fans. Two is on top one in the back and one big one on the side so there it a lot of air going thought it. The motherboard temp say between 85F to 90F degrees. I cpu will stay at 95F degrees then just doing nothing but if i start doing something like surfing the web or watch a videos the cpu goes up to 115F to 125F degrees and if i play my online game the cpu will reach 140F to 145F degrees and A thing will popup from my task bar warning me my cpu is overheating. All my fans will go to high speed at 110F degrees. Before this all started to happen the cpu would run between 80F to 95F degrees and only get as high as 110F degrees. I check everything inside of it clean it good. I even have a fan blowing in the room to. I just hope my cpu ain't going bad. Thanks for the help i get.

Comments

• Heat conducting paste is used between the cooler and CPU, it probably needs changing. While reattaching the cooler make sure it sits firmly and evenly.

You can get new paste from any store that sells computer parts. Guide to applying the paste usually comes with the packaging. You could also consider replacing the stock cooler with a more efficient one.

62C (or 145F) is the general throttling point of many AMD processors, meaning that at that point the cpu throttles its performance to reduce temperature. It's not lethal but you should definitely get things fixed before any extended gaming sessions.
  • Change the Thermal paste and make sure you didn't change any CPU options in the BIOS.
  • I get some thermal paste off of newegg. Everything in the bios is set to default and auto. I know windows 7 and 8.1 will crash now when the temp gets to high. Thank you for the help.