Best Simple Blog/Photo Management Platform

edited May 2015 in Software
I'm looking for a simple blogging software to create a blog with a personal diary format, with a focus on photos as well as text content. I want something simple to use with WYSIWYG editing and a robust system for managing photos and videos. #winboards regulars can likely guess what I'll be using the for.

This is being setup with the goal of being easily usable by someone with 'average' computer skills, like navigating the internet and Windows, using basic Office functions, etc. That means no dealing with markup or syntax, or complex computer terminology.

I experimented with WordPress but found it to be way too bloated and nothing like the WordPress I remember using years ago, with very iffy compatibility with plugins and themes across versions now. combined with the administration interface being rather overwhelming to a 'newbie' it doesn't seem like a viable option. I also tried Blogger, but I don't like the idea of using a Google-hosted product for something like this in particular. That said, it does provide a simple and easy to use interface, although I'd like to see a bit more in the way of photo management and obviously the ability to host it yourself.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use? I'm rolling nginx with MySQL & PHP on Debian, so if suggested software has a guide for installation, even better.

Comments

• Most of the simple solutions (Markdown based stuff like Ghost/editing HTML with your bare hands) are out. I used to like Chyrp, but it's been on the edge of death last I checked.

If you have a lot of RAM (1 or 2 GB for 2010, 8+ GB for 2013) and a Windows Server, SharePoint is the way to go.
  • Wordpress and Ghost is all I can think of.
  • You may try Windows Live Writer for free. It has UI simillar with MS Word but blog oriented, and direct post to many blog provider like wordpress, blogger, and so on. I use it along with my wordpress.