Why can't I download KB305583?

edited June 2015 in Software
Why can't I download KB305583?

I have no updates hidden and I am not running the Enterprise SKU for Windows 7.

Comments

• I'm running 7 Enterprise and also don't have the update available, but don't worry about it, you will still get Win10 whether you get that icon or not.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    I'm running 7 Enterprise and also don't have the update available, but don't worry about it, you will still get Win10 whether you get that icon or not.

Enterprise users do not get the free 10 upgrade. But the OP said he was *not* running enterprise.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    66659hi wrote:
    I'm running 7 Enterprise and also don't have the update available, but don't worry about it, you will still get Win10 whether you get that icon or not.

Enterprise users do not get the free 10 upgrade. But the OP said he was *not* running enterprise.

Huh, didn't know about that. Either way, I loaded my other PC with 7 Pro on it and didn't get the update on it either - I was just telling OP not to worry though as either way he will end up with Win10.

I actually think the icon in the taskbar is quite annoying to have in the corner on the screen (I've seen it on a few friends' Win8 systems)
  • So you need a special update to get a free copy of 10?
  • Define "Free".
  • I do find the icon rather annoying. It stays loaded even after you reserve your free copy of 10, which is useless. It should at least provide an option to hide it.

If you want to get rid of the icon, you can either uninstall the update or make this registry change:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]
    create a new 32-bit DWORD value on the right-hand side named DisableGwx, and give it a value of 1
  • I saw a guide on how to make it available but I forgot to bookmark it.
  • I managed to get the update installed on both my desktop and laptop, but the icon doesn't show at all.