Mystery pc-clone (emerson pc?)

edited June 2015 in Hardware
I recently found an old motherboard in an garage. it looks to be an ibm pc clone made in taiwan.
it has an nec d70108c-8 cpu and an empty coprocessor socket.
it has 8 8-bit isa slots and half the memory slots filled (64kb?)
the main problem i have is that the psu i found it with isnt compatible (one pin is blocked)
i suspect the psu is from an ericsson pc because of the text (emerson sweden pwu mod f/230 etc.) and the push button design.
the motherboard is quite strange , intead of the din-5 keyboard connector being on the motherboard itself it has 5 pins connected to an cable that
connects to a chassis mountable din-5 connector.

does someone know where this motherboard comes from, and how i can get it working?

RgWyIXJl.jpg

Comments

• It is probably from a literally "no-name" or custom built system.

The motherboard is a generic Taiwanese "ERSO" style (used in many generic clones) - the solder pads next to the power plug for an Apple II style power supply is what gives that away.

If you can get it to boot (or have something that can read in the ROM chip), then the BIOS may show the name of the specific OEM that sold it.

Personally I rather like these boards as they usually have good compatiblity.

The chassis mounted keyboard connector is very odd though. Be sure to keep that cable with the motherboard. But it looks like it should be easy enough to solder on a standard DIN plug.

To power it, it should take a standard IBM PC/XT/AT power supply. If that one you found doesn't fit, then that power supply is not 100% standard. (Don't force it, it might use different voltages)

Of course, you will also need an ISA video card and disk controller with a drive to do anything with it.
  • Looks like a typical XT/AT clone. I agree that it looks like you can just solder on a AT keyboard connector. The CPU does support 8080 emulation but your mileage may very.
  • i have now modded an atx power supply (it had the pinout engraved beside the connector) and it seems to work, the pc-speaker beeps.

i now i only need to find a isa-video card and disk controller.
  • Ah, I had missed that. The CPU "d70108c-8" is an NEC V-20 8mhz. That is a drop-in replacement for the 8088 that runs about 20% faster and supports 8080 instructions. That was a popular upgrade for many 8088 machines. Very desirable.