Can an old drive with bad sctors be securely wiped clean?

edited June 2015 in Hardware
I have an old WD IDE drive that has bad sectors and I want to wipe it clean before getting rid of it. I've tried dban, but it sort of stops after a short amount of time during the wipe and I am assuming that one of the bad sectors is at fault.

Comments

• There is a tool out there called "HDDErase" that supposedly will use an internal IDE command to wipe all data, including those on bad sectors.

You might also try a "low level" format tool such as MAXLLF. Although only very early drives supported actual low level formatting, on newer drives it will wipe all sectors and re-map bad sectors.

The fact that the wiping process hangs suggests that your drive has already used up and re-mapped all of its spare sectors. If a "low-level" format tool fails in the same way, then that is certainly the case.

If it that bad, then you don't want to re-use it anyway. So just take a hammer to it :)
  • Spinrite is another program that could work but since hard drives are cheap these days I would just hammer and drill a few holes in it then trash it.
  • Spinrite is snake oil. At best, it might be able to get it working enough to recover data.
  • Strange, my ISP seems to be blocking that web site.
  • Burn it with gasoline. It's the only way.

That or blowing it up, but I have no way of getting dynamite or other explosives.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Strange, my ISP seems to be blocking that web site.

Blocking or just timing out? I'm pretty sure I'm not in any spam DBs.
  • That is your site?

It is timing out. A traceroute shows the request never leaves my ISP.

It could just be my ISP being a pile of shit as usual, but I've recently stumbled on a few other sites that have the exact same issue. They time out, but everything shows the site is up. However in those those cases, the sites smelled like the sort of thing some retard might try and censor.