Updates on the laptops I received

edited July 2015 in Hardware
My camera seems to have lost its battery all together today ("perfect timing"), so pictures can't be provided unfortunately.

But, the HP Lives. I grabbed a genuine HP F1454A adapter on eBay and it started right up. Loaded Win2k and the laptop runs fine. Turns out to be more interesting than I thought, with a mouse controlled BIOS, a weird CD player on the front, and the hardware inside (I REALLY wish my camera was working for this)

I am supposed to receive the adapter for the Macbook today, I'll be giving an update on that. Unlike the other laptops I'm receiving, this one (if it works) is being given away to someone who needs a laptop.

Along with this stuff, I picked up a few more laptops for the total of $35 a few days back...

I haven't bothered to open the box so this is all I know:

An HP Pavilion from the mid-2000s (I'm guessing it's a DV6000 or 9000 and is dead)
a Dell Latitude D630 with the optional fingerprint reader (this was from a separate source, and while it's still in the box I was told what it is)
a Toshiba Satellite (got nothing on this)

I still have the Compaq, untested. I need to see if I can find a cheaper non-generic adapter for it. Apparently the Armada 7400 series used the same design, but I can't seem to find an adapter for even one of those.

Comments

• I've seen a few BIOS systems with mouse support. Saw a AST system that it's BIOS looking kinda like Windows 3.x. These days with EFI there is mouse support to navigate the settings.

I had a HP DV6000 once. Poor design since the flex strip cables for the power switch and media buttons run right over the heatsink. I had to replace the flex strip cables twice since I had it. Also if pressure was applied near the optical drive the drive would pop open. After that happening constantly I removed the drive and shoved a USB hub in it's place.
  • WinBIOS is an oddity of 1995 for sure.
  • Yep that's it for sure. WinBIOS lol, good times when you could hardly do anything.