Windows that were never official

edited July 2015 in Software
longhorn is a good example .

Comments

• Neptune, Memphis, Cario, and Nashvile is what i can name on the top of my head.
  • All these was Windows Codenames but change in the final.
    Also MS-DOS has Codename like Astro in MS-DOS 6 and
    Jetski in MS-DOS 5.0.
  • You realize of course that all of those versions of Windows were infact "official" since they were codenames of different versions of Windows when each was in development.

For example, the following:
    - "Chicago": Microsoft Windows 4.0, later Microsoft Windows 95
    - "Cairo": Planned successor to Microsoft Windows NT 3.1
    - "Nashville": Update to Microsoft Windows 95, later became Internet Explorer 4.0 and the Windows Desktop Update
    - "Detroit": Microsoft Windows 95 OSR 2 USB support
    - "Memphis": Upgrade to Microsoft Windows 95 (eventually known as Microsoft Windows 98)
    - "Memphis NT": Early codename for Microsoft Windows NT 5.0
    - "Microsoft Windows NT 5.0": Original product name for successor to Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, later renamed to Microsoft Windows 2000
    - "Microsoft Windows Millennium": Original product name for consumer successor to Microsoft Windows 98, later renamed to Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
    - "Neptune": Early codename for successor to Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, later became "Whistler"
    - "Whistler": Second codename for successor to Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, later known as Microsoft Windows XP (with exception to the still-unreleased Whistler Server product)
    - "Microsoft Windows .NET Server": Original planned product name for the successor to the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Family, later was briefly renamed to "Microsoft Windows .NET Server 2003" before finally given the official product name "Microsoft Windows Server 2003"
    - "Longhorn": Early codename for successor to Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Server 2003, later renamed to Microsoft Windows Vista for the successor to Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for the successor to Microsoft Windows Server 2003

There are probably many more examples where those came from, but those were the ones that I was able to find at the moment.

Sometime after that, the old codename system was dropped, though it is true that the upcoming Windows 10 was originally known internally as "Threshold" before being given the name "Windows 10" for the successor to Windows 8.1 and "Windows Server 2016" for the successor to Windows Server 2012 R2 (and likewise was never named "Windows 9" contrary to what many articles claim).
  • Well, I think he ment that longhorn was never released. Because longhorn is not the Vista Beta (as far as I know), they stopped whit Lognhorn and begone a new development on Vista.
  • Not Windows.
  • Could of been
  • No, never could be. It was an experimental project for low-level C#. Some concepts were used later, possibly in Windows, but probably not.
  • Roman78 wrote:
    Well, I think he ment that longhorn was never released. Because longhorn is not the Vista Beta (as far as I know), they stopped whit Lognhorn and begone a new development on Vista.

I could be wrong, but I think you're thinking of Blackcomb (which eventually became Windows 7).
  • Roman78 wrote:
    Well, I think he ment that longhorn was never released. Because longhorn is not the Vista Beta (as far as I know), they stopped whit Lognhorn and begone a new development on Vista.
    This is completely false. Development of Longhorn was never stopped - the whole reason for why the "reset" occurred was to continue development of the product while at the same time also restructuring the development process, among other things (on the contrary, one of the things that I remember seeing was that they decided that the Longhorn project needed to be more componentized from the start).

And the final product name "Windows Vista" has absolutely nothing to do with the "reset" either, contrary to what many fan blogs will have you believe. It would have still been called Windows Vista regardless of whether the reset occurred or not, since it was the final name of Longhorn, period. It was not some sort of fancy name for the project following the "reset" as some enthusiasts have claimed; it was the final name for the Longhorn successor to Windows XP and as such had no relationship to the so-called "reset" whatsoever.

Also, the developer release of April/May 2005 (6.0.5048; yes the one documented on Paul Thurrott's site) was still known as Longhorn. It was only when release of Beta 1 was shipped to testers in July 2005 that the product was finally given the name Windows Vista. Anyone claiming that it was only the final name for the so-called "post-reset" builds is simply wrong.