Windows 10 users want the old windows 8.1 start screen back.

edited August 2015 in Software
http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-about-that-windows-10-users-really-like-the-windows-8-1-start-screen-489643.shtml

Why are people so obsessed with using an interface optimized for 5 inch screens on much larger monitors?

Comments

• Because they don't know Windows 10 can doing the same. IMO, Win10 StartMenu much like WIn7 StartMenu with Win8 metro style, so far I liked more...

Back to old Win8 start menu style? Easy as pie :mrgreen:

4de151430312446.jpg
  • The Windows 8.x start screen was far denser. I can a lot more icons, and some of those icons can also update with information at a glance. (Plus it made a substitute for locking if you just needed privacy for a second.) In a way, I like the purity of design in 8.x, (there are two spheres) over the compromise of 10.

It's not the same. The icons on the left are ambiguous when fullscreen, it's less dense, and much buggier.
  • I believe that the Windows 10 icons are just the same as in Windows 8.1... If you want to go back to the full screen view, you can turn it on manually or just use tablet mode, if you want to feel like you're running Windows 8.0. In fact, you can also adjust the icons slightly higher or lower in 10, also the grid has decreased a bit so you get more flexibility. There's nothing wrong with the W10 icons, in fact, they also did a great job in letting users keep the same experience as they had in 10, 8.1, or 8.
  • They definitely need to bring back the ability to select multiple tiles the way you could in 8.1.

It's honestly not that surprising that some users would want to return to the 8.1 interface. They got used to it... It's not hard to get used to 10's interface but it's always the case when a new OS version comes out that some people will prefer the previous version.

Personally, I'm staying away from 10 on my own devices for a bit. The biggest reason is automatic updates (there is a tool to hide updates, but it should be built in...) and privacy invading features. Yes, you can turn most of it off and in theory it's off enough to not matter... but still... I know Windows and I guarantee there will be an update or something that resets the options and you won't notice until months later when you happen to look. They've been pulling this shit since 7 at least... and possibly longer. I can't count the number of times my jump lists or explorer favorites have been reset by updates...

10 just doesn't feel like a finished product to me. It's almost done... but not quite yet. They should have baked it another couple of months and released it in October.
  • I found the windows 8/8.1 start screen interface very good to use on my tablet, but on an actual desktop/laptop it's fucking useless.

MS should have split touch and non-touch from the start.

EDIT:
    BlueSun wrote:
    The biggest reason is automatic updates (there is a tool to hide updates, but it should be built in...)

There's a group policy setting to revert to previous behaviour.
  • BOD wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:
    The biggest reason is automatic updates (there is a tool to hide updates, but it should be built in...)

Unfortunately, you can't disable automatic updates. Worse of all, by default, the computer restarts automatically. And not just restarts, it straight up crashes and reboots. In my case, it goes in a reboot loop so I have to force-turn it off and turn it on again. The most you can do is have Windows ask when to restart the computer, and I believe you can also "defer upgrades", which apparently delays updates, but doesn't let you not have them.

I swear, if this sort of bullshit continues (including the privacy settings), then I might just stop using Windows as a main machine.
  • Removing all of the phone home and constant updates requires an enterprise edition
  • garirry wrote:
    BOD wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:

Unfortunately, you can't disable automatic updates. Worse of all, by default, the computer restarts automatically. And not just restarts, it straight up crashes and reboots. In my case, it goes in a reboot loop so I have to force-turn it off and turn it on again. The most you can do is have Windows ask when to restart the computer, and I believe you can also "defer upgrades", which apparently delays updates, but doesn't let you not have them.

I swear, if this sort of bullshit continues (including the privacy settings), then I might just stop using Windows as a main machine.

https://4sysops.com/archives/stop-autom ... ild-10240/

Not sure which editions this will work with though.
  • Apparently, it only works on Pro since some of the tools mentioned on there are unavailable to Home.
  • The quickest solution of preventing Windows 10 to update is: blocking any connection between *microsoft.com from gateway router, applicable only if you using DSL connection :D
  • ndezoo wrote:
    The quickest solution of preventing Windows 10 to update is: blocking any connection between *microsoft.com from gateway router, applicable only if you using DSL connection :D

So is there any reason why I can't do this on my cable connection? What about fibre, 3/4G or even ISDN?

Do tell us oh wise one.
  • BOD wrote:
    ndezoo wrote:
    The quickest solution of preventing Windows 10 to update is: blocking any connection between *microsoft.com from gateway router, applicable only if you using DSL connection :D

So is there any reason why I can't do this on my cable connection? What about fibre, 3/4G or even ISDN?

Do tell us oh wise one.

Sorry if this annoying :mrgreen: . I just have shared DSL and 3G connection so far. You can, however blocking connection to microsoft update center through any ways. I haven't try ISDN yet :mrgreen: . For 3G phone/modem, I haven't idea how to blocking that.
  • If you really want to block connections from Microsoft just do it in the hosts file, which is connection-independent.

Or just get the Enterprise edition. I've had Enterprise since Vista (oh, OEMs you never cease to amaze) and it brings joy to stop updates even for a little while (as you'll now be on the 5 + 5 years support cycle from the last update).