My laptop thinks my flash drive is a floppy disk!!!

edited September 2015 in Hardware
I have a Compaq Mini 110c designed for Windows XP (currently running FreeDOS 1.1 with FreeGEM and Windows 3.1.) It has no internal floppy drive or CD-ROM drive, but it thinks my Staples Relay 512mb USB Flash Drive is a Floppy disk! I know it's not that big of a problem, but is there any way to change this?

Comments

• Are you referring to Windows 3.1's file manager seeing it as a floppy disk?

Seeing as USB drives didn't really appear 'til into the 2000s (at least I remember reading the reviews for the 8MB ones), I'd imagine that's all 3.1 can understand it as being if it's not a HDD.
  • DOS and Windows say it's A: and show a floppy logo
  • Welp. Looks like you have a 512 MB floppy drive then.
  • DallasCHVN wrote:
    DOS and Windows say it's A: and show a floppy logo

Most likely it's because DOS would have picked the first drive letter available, and may just be hard coded to assume A: is always floppy.
  • Most USB disk drivers for DOS make it look like a hard drive or some kind of removable drive - this may be a quirk of FreeDOS' stack.
  • Welp. Looks like you have a 512 MB floppy drive then.
    Wow! I have a huge floppy disk! :)
  • You can reassign it. I think the command is
    assign A:=D:

Thats if you want the jump drive to be D:\. Just change the letter to any free letter if you wish.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    You can reassign it. I think the command is
    assign A:=D:

Thats if you want the jump drive to be D:\. Just change the letter to any free letter if you wish.
  • No problem, however you might have to add that command to the AUTOEXEC so it will reassign on bootup.