Win95 install error(vmware and vbox 4.5)

edited October 2015 in Software
VMware:After the Prepareing to run windows 95 for the first time is says unable to find file xxxx.xx_ and there is no cd drive when i browse for it .(before install drive is X:\ after install it is d:\ :(
VBOX4.5: After copying files it says:Windows Protection Error,you need to reboot your computer.After that I can only start in safe mode with command prompt!:(

Comments

• Everybody highly recommends copying the files to the hard drive before installing.
  • There are also several speed related updates you will need to apply. You may or may not be able to work around them by disabling VirtualBox acceleration features.

Search for: amdk6upd.exe, fix95cpu_v3_final.zip, ndis.vxd-4.00.1113.zip, ndis.vxd-4.00.1114.zip, and ndis.vxd-4.00.951.zip.

Also Windows 95 doesn't like it if there is more than ~920MB of ram. For VirtualBox, just set the RAM to a lower amount.
  • This is not a site issue.

Moving to Software
  • Don't use anything more than 256MB RAM for Windows 95. Honestly, that's so much RAM compared to the max amount of the time that you wouldn't notice a difference at any amount greater than that anyway. And while I've read that Win95 can't handle anything more than 512MB RAM, my VMs have gone in to protect mode with that much or slightly less.

256MB is more than plenty, and you won't have any issues.
  • Don't use anything more than 256MB RAM for Windows 95. Honestly, that's so much RAM compared to the max amount of the time that you wouldn't notice a difference at any amount greater than that anyway. And while I've read that Win95 can't handle anything more than 512MB RAM, my VMs have gone in to protect mode with that much or slightly less.

256MB is more than plenty, and you won't have any issues.
    i'm on 152
  • Thanks, i noted your comments and copyed R:\WIN95 to C:\WIN95 and it worked but now i can't install VMware tools it says:This application caused an illegal operation........ somthing did anyone sucsessfuly install tools on95? if you did please tell me how!
  • Might have to find a older version of the VMware tools.

FYI, calm down on the color text. The last one using blue hurts the eyes.