Windows Vista Just Had Bad Luck

edited December 2015 in Software
When Vista was released, it was a buggy mess, but so was XP! The only reason Vista never got off the ground was Microsoft releasing Windows 7 two years later, so people could just migrate from Windows XP directly to Windows 7, skipping over Vista. I've used Windows Vista Service Pack 2, and after a week with it, I now use it as my main OS. I hope I'm not the only one who agrees that Windows Vista should deserve more recognition than it gets. At the very least, it's UI is very pleasing.
Windows Vista is like the cult classic of operating systems to me. What do you think?

Comments

• The biggest problem with Vista is that Windows 7 came out two years later, fixed all the bugs, and implemented Windows Aero more. Vista had quite the bugs, it was in fact quite glitchy when you use it all the time. The design was better than XP, but not the stability that's for sure.
  • When Vista was released, it was a buggy mess, but so was XP!
    But Windows XP was more stable than Vista. Even the windows whistler builds was more stable than any of the vista builds. That and the fact that half of the development for Vista was staled to a halt due to security holes in the Windows XP system... It wasn't a good OS as compared to windows XP and 7 or 8. But if it was a comparison of Windows ME and Windows Vista, then you have a strong point there.
  • I'm talking about Service Pack 2. With the first service pack, almost all the bugs were fixed, and with service pack 2, all the rest were fixed. It's just that the timing for the service packs were awful, as Windows 7 had already been released when the bugs were fixed. I've used the RTM, and yes, it is extremely buggy and slow even on very good systems. I'm saying it had bad luck because by the time it became good, nobody cared about it anymore.
  • Vista showed mistakes a company with the reputation, budget, experience and technology like Microsoft could have avoided.

I mean seriously, how can you "lose focus" when making an OS after you've filled it with eye-candy and useless nonsense? What were QA and production teams doing at that time? Secondly, you can't release a glitchy RTM build without intense testing, especially after what's happened to Windows Me.

Vista did bring some good stuff to the table, but its problems overshadowed its innovations at release. As you said, service packs were irrelevant when people had XP and later 7. Windows 7 was probably the best solution, though, as it took MS too long to fix Vista, so it will forever be remembered as a buggy piece of crap, even though it's probably no longer the case.
  • And, not forget it, some hardware, programs and drivers or not compatible with Windows Vista.....
  • Vista was a bit of an architecture shift with the introduction of UAC and several other security enhancements. The problem was that software / driver support wasn't ready for it. So people had a lot of software that they wanted to use that they couldn't because it simply wasn't compatible with Vista.

In addition to that, there were many computers being sold as "Vista Capable" that were really only barely capable of running Vista Basic but people tried to run the full Vista on them anyway and thus increasing public perception of slow performance with Vista. There was even a lawsuit about it. Not only that, but the system requirements for decent performance were pretty beefy at the time and gaming rigs were the only ones that could do a decent job of running it.

Plus, as already mentioned, there were actual bugs with Vista RTM and later service packs addressed these issues... but unfortunately, by the time the service packs were released, Microsoft had already lost the public.

So when 7 came out, Microsoft had ironed out the bugs in Vista and hardware had caught up to the point where Average Joe PCs could easily run it. Software developers had worked out the bugs in their software and released Vista / 7 compatible versions. Hardware vendors had released compatible drivers. It was in a much better position than Vista had been.

With 8, they had really trimmed the fat and tweaked performance... the problem is, relying on usage metrics, they made major missteps in the UI design. Stats told them no one really uses the start button... so they removed it... but it turns out people use it... a lot. 8.1 fixed this, but as with Vista, it was too late and they had lost the public's approval.

So 10 does the same thing 7 did. Builds on the previous version and addresses the public's concerns... the problem is, once again, they've fucked up by implementing several privacy violating features... but unfortunately, the public doesn't seem to care that much about their privacy... so 10 will likely do fine.

I really wish they were handling the release of 10 better... currently on my 8.1 system, it is listed as an optional update but it remains pre-selected and is unable to be hidden through normal means. Not only that, but they're also pre-downloading it to 7 / 8.x PCs... They had a real opportunity to turn things around for their public image and they blew it. It's not like Vista or ME, but it's also not like, "Hey, Microsoft is actually doing a good job"
  • So, some are afraid of Mother Microsoft seeing their nasty photos in their utilities folder?
  • When Vista was released, it was a buggy mess, but so was XP! The only reason Vista never got off the ground was Microsoft releasing Windows 7 two years later, so people could just migrate from Windows XP directly to Windows 7, skipping over Vista. I've used Windows Vista Service Pack 2, and after a week with it, I now use it as my main OS. I hope I'm not the only one who agrees that Windows Vista should deserve more recognition than it gets. At the very least, it's UI is very pleasing.
    Windows Vista is like the cult classic of operating systems to me. What do you think?
    I love Vista! It's GUI is the best!
  • DallasCHVN wrote:
    When Vista was released, it was a buggy mess, but so was XP! The only reason Vista never got off the ground was Microsoft releasing Windows 7 two years later, so people could just migrate from Windows XP directly to Windows 7, skipping over Vista. I've used Windows Vista Service Pack 2, and after a week with it, I now use it as my main OS. I hope I'm not the only one who agrees that Windows Vista should deserve more recognition than it gets. At the very least, it's UI is very pleasing.
    I love Vista! It's GUI is the best!
    Yup. It just needed like 1 more year of work. The last SP was the winner, if they had back about a year or so before it would be as big as Windows 95.
  • edited October 2015
    Funnily enough, I thought about Vista for a minute. When it was just new at the time, I never really cared for it even when I first knew of its stability issues and personally, I loathed the look of Windows Aero as it was more of an eyesore to me along with the "useless nonsense" that Plokite_Wolf said which I can agree with, even when I am a sucker for simplicity (even when I was a long-term XP user at the time). Thank god I never got this OS before my second computer broke down...

Also on the subject, wouldn't it be better if Vista came in the form of its early Longhorn builds before Microsoft decided to say "screw it" with its development and then give us this as a result? That's just what I think but I can't really get my head round of how Microsoft would fuck this up so badly, especially when it came to ME. I mean, it took them years to assemble it and at one point they were more or less jealous of Apple for introducing fast file-searching for Mac OS X Tiger when that was out.
  • After XP Microsoft started on Longhorn that was from what I heard a addon to XP but in fact was a "replacement". It was under development longer then most MS products then scrapped, kinda sounded like GT interactive with Duke Nuken Forever. When Vista was released all of these computer software reviewers/critics hated it. and you pretty much needed a new system to run it. Even hardware OEM vendors looked over Vista and continued to pre-load XP. When my PC died I was given a cheap HP system that had vista and after a week I ended up turning into a Hackintosh. Sad that a Apple OS had more support for the hardware then Vista. When Win7 came out I dual booted OS 10.6 and Win7 ultimate. My wife had a Gateway that had Vista. I would bug her and plead her to let me update it to Win7 and when one of the kids got a virus on it I installed win7 and the misses apologized and told me Win7 is in fact better. Vista is a NT ME lol.
  • Vista was killed by sleazy OEMs and bad drivers. With patches, newer drivers, good HW, and no bloat, it's smooth, even on low end HW. My T42 even feels a little faster with Vista over 7.
  • Every Windows OS (with the possible exception of the Server series) since Windows 2000 = bloatware.

Vista's release also coincided with the beginning of a massive decline in Microsoft's influence in the Operating System arena, and indeed in the tech world more generally. Now it's all Android, iOS and even OS X. The loss of overall marketshare for Windows has been massive.

Vista was the perfect exemplar of an OS that was overly bloated with tacky effects and other assorted useless rubbish for no good reason.

All that said, I found it to be very stable and usable on the laptop I used to run it on. It was also my last Windows OS. Then I wiped it and instead put on Ubuntu (was not a great fan), and after that I chucked it and got a Macbook Air :) OS X is GREAT, if a little showey for my liking.
  • Vista's release also coincided with the beginning of a massive decline in Microsoft's influence in the Operating System arena, and indeed in the tech world more generally. Now it's all Android, iOS and even OS X. The loss of overall marketshare for Windows has been massive.

um... what?

9rtsFmx.png

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operatin ... pcustomd=0
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Vista's release also coincided with the beginning of a massive decline in Microsoft's influence in the Operating System arena, and indeed in the tech world more generally. Now it's all Android, iOS and even OS X. The loss of overall marketshare for Windows has been massive.

um... what?

9rtsFmx.png

Yes, but this pie chart is titled **Desktop Operating System Market Share**. People are using their tablets and phones now for tasks once very much solely reserved for laptops and desktops. The total influence of Microsoft on the consumer electronics field has reduced ENORMOUSLY.

If you made a pie chart titled 'Operating system use (hours per week) for PC, tablet or smart phone' in say 2007 and then now in 2015 the difference would be remarkable.
  • Yes, but this pie chart is titled **Desktop Operating System Market Share**. People are using their tablets and phones now for tasks once very much solely reserved for laptops and desktops. The total influence of Microsoft on the consumer electronics field has reduced ENORMOUSLY.

If you made a pie chart titled 'Operating system use (hours per week) for PC, tablet or smart phone' in say 2007 and then now in 2015 the difference would be remarkable.
    It's a different thing entirely you're talking about. The usage of mobile devices has raised massively due to the amount of people who don't really need powerful devices. However, Microsoft lost almost none of its desktop market share in the past few years. Mac OS X raised quite a lot, but is still not close to Windows by a single bit. And Linux is just straight-up struggling getting into the large market. Windows lost almost nothing.
  • BlueSun wrote:

um... what?

9rtsFmx.png

Yes, but this pie chart is titled **Desktop Operating System Market Share**. People are using their tablets and phones now for tasks once very much solely reserved for laptops and desktops. The total influence of Microsoft on the consumer electronics field has reduced ENORMOUSLY.

You never mentioned anything about mobile devices, or even the consumer area. The sheer amount of Windows boxes in businesses alone will vastly outweigh mobile usage in "hours per day".

Moreover, if you included consoles in there it would push them much higher.
  • edited November 2015
    garirry wrote:

It's a different thing entirely you're talking about. The usage of mobile devices has raised massively due to the amount of people who don't really need powerful devices. However, Microsoft lost almost none of its desktop market share in the past few years. Mac OS X raised quite a lot, but is still not close to Windows by a single bit. And Linux is just straight-up struggling getting into the large market. Windows lost almost nothing.

Hi gairry,

I politely disagree. I did allude to non-desktop systems in my original comment (I mentioned Android and iOS). Furthermore, I don't think you can draw a solid, distinct line anymore between the laptops/desktops segment and tablets / similar devices. They are all sophisticated computing devices with screens and operating systems, whether that OS be Windows, OS X, iOS, or Android.

The fact is that tablets/mobile devices for many people are the 'modern-day' PCs, and the newest iPad is probably at least as powerful (likely a lot more) as say a top of the line Dell laptop manufactured in 2007. Everyday tasks people once used their PCs for, people now largely use tablets and phones.

On top of this, Mac OS X has made gains too (albeit modest in comparison).

I see this all as a huge shift that has occurred. There is no doubt that Microsoft's influence in the IT arena is not like it used to be.
  • BOD wrote:
    BlueSun wrote:

um... what?

9rtsFmx.png

You never mentioned anything about mobile devices, or even the consumer area. The sheer amount of Windows boxes in businesses alone will vastly outweigh mobile usage in "hours per day".

Moreover, if you included consoles in there it would push them much higher.

Good point with business, although I've noticed businesses are hanging on to old version of windows as long as possible (they don't want Win Vista, 7, 8 or 10).

Good point with consoles too. I'm not a gamer so they're not at the forefront of my mind.

Nonetheless, the overall picture is that, as according to my previous comment above, Microsoft has never been as weak as they are today. More people than ever are using computing devices that are NOT running a Microsoft operating system, and often are running no MS software *at all*. Unthinkable even 7 years ago.
  • A lot of people use mobile devices, but that doesn't necessarily mean they stop using their Windows based desktops and laptops. It also depends on what kind of usage you're looking at. People don't use these devices for one thing and one thing only. There are certain tasks people do on phones / tablets, and certain tasks people do on desktops / laptops.

Unfortunately, netmarketshare.com requires a subscription to see the overall OS marketshare in terms of web usage. The only chart I found was from 3 years ago. I'm sure the usage has changed a bit, but not as drastically as you claim. If I have time I'll try to source a newer chart.

Also, it's not necessarily that businesses don't *want* to upgrade, but rather that they *can't* upgrade because some super critical line of business application they use won't run on the new versions.
  • There's plenty of Windows 7 in business use, hell I can see it becoming the new XP, with individuals and businesses hanging onto it far beyond its EOL.
  • BOD wrote:
    There's plenty of Windows 7 in business use, hell I can see it becoming the new XP, with individuals and businesses hanging onto it far beyond its EOL.
    You know, I have that feeling too.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    BOD wrote:
    There's plenty of Windows 7 in business use, hell I can see it becoming the new XP, with individuals and businesses hanging onto it far beyond its EOL.

I know I'm one of those individuals who would hold on to Windows 7 as much as I can.
  • dosbox wrote:
    Bry89 wrote:
    BOD wrote:

I know I'm one of those individuals who would hold on to Windows 7 as much as I can.
    Me too. If I have to be weaned off from it in years time, then I can make the switch to either OS X or Linux. A hard decision though...

Anyway, talking about Vista again, once support for it gets cut off in two years, I can guarantee it will be largely forgotten about as right now, it's market share is only above 1%. Wouldn't you all agree?
  • Bry89 wrote:
    dosbox wrote:
    Bry89 wrote:
    BOD wrote:

Me too. If I have to be weaned off from it in years time, then I can make the switch to either OS X or Linux. A hard decision though...

Anyway, talking about Vista again, once support for it gets cut off in two years, I can guarantee it will be largely forgotten about as right now, it's market share is only above 1%. Wouldn't you all agree?

I actually have Vista installed in a virtual machine right now.
  • edited November 2015
    Bry89 wrote:
    I think it wouldn't be forgotten, but rather will become "the mysterious broken system" like Windows ME is currently.
  • I only said that really for it's status on the market share, and I am aware that people could still muck about with it on VMs for whatever reason. It makes me wonder how Microsoft would fuck up for it and ME too. It will always remain a mystery indeed...
  • Bry89 wrote:
    dosbox wrote:
    Bry89 wrote:
    BOD wrote:

No, I will never forget Vista because it is the "Mom" of Aero and I don't like metro even thogh i'm using metro:):)
  • The trouble was this: Vista was intended to be a wedge for users to buy new, much more expensive hardware. Hence, on most systems it ran like an absolute dog.

XP had been around forever and hardware manufacturers were getting cranky that users were no longer upgrading to new machines. They got in the ear of MS and in response we got a really pretty but resource-hungry OS. They thought consumers would idiotically drool at the shiny new OS and run out and by expensive hardware.

Unfortunately for MS, they went too far. Vista ran like a dog on a good chunk of machines that shipped with the OS, let alone all of those 'Vista ready' machines that shipped with 512 MB RAM. Vista, on 512? It doesn't even run well on 1 GB for goodness sake.

Anyways it's a slight shame. Because with enough RAM (2GB MINIMUM) Vista is a very smooth, slick looking OS. It is also quite stable on the right hardware. But it's horridly inefficient. It's the most aesthetically pleasing MS OS ever released (perhaps to the point of being gaudy), but I understand why MS moved in the direction they have with 8 and 10.

**EDIT** also UAC is f**king annoying, so intrusive, especially on a machine with lower RAM waiting for it to do its thing.
  • True . No Windows Vista would mean No Windows 7 so that would also mean No Windows 8 :lol: