This build would make the guys at r/pcmasterrace weep

edited November 2015 in Hardware
This is the build I'm slowly working on. For the parts that were already purchased, I had to make a guess. I recently ordered the RAM and power supply, and I am waiting for them to arrive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor (Purchased For $56.99)
Motherboard: ECS H81H3-I/HDMI (V1.0) Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $39.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($90.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec VSK-3000 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $29.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $350.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-03 14:47 EST-0500

Comments

• Interesting. However, don't you think a more powerful processor would be a better choice for a computer with a decently powerful GPU and stuff like that? I mean, I don't think that Pentiums are a bad choice, it's just that they're probably not very powerful, and including a 100$ GPU along with that seems a bit of a weird decision.
  • An SSD is great to have, but it's a luxury. Cut back to a mechanical disk.

For graphics, I strongly recommend getting a 750ti. I got mine for ~130 CAD, so shouldn't be too much more.

For the CPU, upgrade to the G3258 for not much more, it's overclockable for cheap.

PSU and RAM look good. Board I am slightly suspicious of.
  • ampharos wrote:
    An SSD is great to have, but it's a luxury. Cut back to a mechanical disk.
    They're not that expensive nowadays. A 128GB SSD is cheaper than a 1TB HDD most of the time. If he doesn't need that much storage, why not invest a bit for plenty of read/write speed?
  • I actually already have 500GB mechanical drive I'll be putting in. I really can't afford a better CPU or GPU. My budget is really not flexible. I bought the case and motherboard back in December 2014/January 2015, and CPU a couple months later.
  • I'm building my step son a gaming PC and it's a tad bit cheaper then that. Also much faster but we're going with a AMD APU. Right now were waiting for the motherboard and CPU to show up.
  • Those lower end Pentium CPUs are not *that* bad, I've been using one in my fileserver for a couple of years now, and whilst I could have gotten a couple of generations old i3 chip for the same cash, the heat generation and power usage of the newer Pentium chips is way, way better.
  • Overall the build isn't bad for someone on a budget (which seems very tight) the things that make me cringe slightly however are the motherboard (haven't heard great things about ECS) and the case.

Personally i'd have looked into a case like this. Much better quality and isn't even $10 more than the one you chose and perhaps this for the motherboard.

i see that you've already purchased those two however so hopefully it goes smoothly for you.
  • I've never had issues with ECS myself. I use to use them before switching to Gigabyte and MSI.
  • I decided to say fuck it and skip buying the ssd. My ram and power supply should arrive today. In a couple of months I intend to buy the graphics card.
  • The parts arrived yesterday and I got installed the parts when I got home. I decided to to instal Windows 7 on it. The only part I need to buy now is the graphics card. Compared to previous computers I had, this thing is a fucking beast.