Windows 95 / Office 2000 troubles

edited November 2015 in Software
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with Office 2000 Premium installation in Windows 95.

I've managed to get the essential components on the laptop (Word, Ppt, Excel shell), but can't get some of the extras on there (e.g. Clip art, Publisher).

The installation runs for a short period of time, then the error message I get is: 'Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file E:\data2.msi'

Installation method is via CD-ROM using genuine disks on to an old NEC VERSA 265OCDT laptop.

It MAY have something to do with the fact that I manually deleted a previous Office 97 installation off of there, as the uninstall wizard wouldn't run without the Office 97 disk.

Anyways, anyone got ideas? :-/

Comments

• Have you examined the disc for scratches? My guess is a bad disk.
  • Icon wrote:
    Have you examined the disc for scratches? My guess is a bad disk.
    :-(
    I hope not, I installed them on another computer only a few days ago and it was OK, although Photodraw would crash upon attempting to open it.

There's a few scuffs on them though.

I'll test it out on my mum's Acer with Windows 7 and get back to you.
  • Confirmed: Installation runs fine on Acer laptop running Windows 7.
  • Update: I've uninstalled Office 2000 completely hoping a re-install would assist.
    It hasn't.
    The same thing that was happening to disk 2 is happening to disk 1. I have noticed once the error message comes up and the installation is halted, you can no longer access the disk from Windows explorer, either by double-clicking or right-clicking > explore.
    It is as though the disk has been removed from the system.

Could this be a driver error? Or, let's hope not, a hardware issue with the CD-ROM drive?
  • RESOLVED:
    Simply ejecting, pushing the disc tray back, and then clicking 'retry' on the error message after the disk fully fires up resolves the issue. It's as though Windows thinks the disk has been ejected, and needs it to fire up again to work.
    Anyways, I'm happy, fixed.