Is there somewhere where I can download the entire archive?

edited December 2015 in Site Issues
Thanks. :mrgreen:

Comments

• You mean every single file from this website? I doubt you want that, as it probably weighs in the terabytes if not more. Unless you're just trying to just save the files for the sake of saving the files, then I don't think an admin will let you do that.
  • Thanks. :mrgreen:
    This is just stupid. Why the hell would you even want to?
  • No.

Our library currently comes in around 490GB and growing. We don't have the bandwidth to permit everyone free-reign to download our entire library at once and it's ultimately unnecessary. 90% of the software we host is only useful to a very small subset of users.

The only people who are permitted direct access to the entire library are members and staff who provide a dedicated server for hosting, or are VIPs with a valid reason for direct access which I approve on an individual basis.

I'll point out that anybody who attempts to circumvent this reasonable limitation (eg. I look in the nginx logs and see someone mass downloading files endlessly) you'll be met with a ban and a boot in the ass.

Otherwise, if someone wants to pay for a 500GB drive + S&H, I'd consider it but that's pretty much the only way you're getting a full copy of the archive without donating a server or other services/contributions to the community.
  • Heck, even I don't have a copy of everything here. But then again, I have absolutely zero desire to keep dozens of foreign language Windows 9x or MacOS ISOs sitting around.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Heck, even I don't have a copy of everything here. But then again, I have absolutely zero desire to keep dozens of foreign language Windows 9x or MacOS ISOs sitting around.
    Well, I do. I only wish I had a 1024 Terabyte Hard Disk because that is the storage I'll need in my life!
  • po lu wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:
    Heck, even I don't have a copy of everything here. But then again, I have absolutely zero desire to keep dozens of foreign language Windows 9x or MacOS ISOs sitting around.
    Well, I do. I only wish I had a 1024 Terabyte Hard Disk because that is the storage I'll need in my life!

For what purpose? Unless you're fluent in several languages besides your own and English, I highly doubt they would be of much use. Also, what would you need a 1 petabyte drive for? They a) don't exist, and b) more capacity than you'll ever need for the next decade.
  • edited December 2015
    Icon wrote:
    po lu wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:

For what purpose? Unless you're fluent in several languages besides your own and English, I highly doubt they would be of much use. Also, what would you need a 1 petabyte drive for? They a) don't exist, and b) more capacity than you'll ever need for the next decade.
    Well, i'll learn some *other* languages and have *more* fun this way!
    And, the PB hard disks DO exsist. >>For more INFO, search here<<
    (I would prefer an exabyte one! :-))
  • Thanks. :mrgreen:

I am just wondering why this is under Site Issues...Shouldn't it be under offers/requests as a request?
  • Why would you want to have every single file here? Would any of them be of any use to you, even the foreign-language OSes? I'm just wondering because this is such an odd request to make.
  • not that silly, I had the idea too. Not because I need them but more like very nice ro have and it is just storage which I have
  • edited December 2015
    Big L wrote:
    not that silly, I had the idea too. Not because I need them but more like very nice ro have and it is just storage which I have
    Well, then we share ideas! :)
    P.S. You should post on my forum A bit more.
  • Big D wrote:
    No.

Our library currently comes in around 490GB and growing. We don't have the bandwidth to permit everyone free-reign to download our entire library at once and it's ultimately unnecessary. 90% of the software we host is only useful to a very small subset of users.

The only people who are permitted direct access to the entire library are members and staff who provide a dedicated server for hosting, or are VIPs with a valid reason for direct access which I approve on an individual basis.

I'll point out that anybody who attempts to circumvent this reasonable limitation (eg. I look in the nginx logs and see someone mass downloading files endlessly) you'll be met with a ban and a boot in the ass.

Otherwise, if someone wants to pay for a 500GB drive + S&H, I'd consider it but that's pretty much the only way you're getting a full copy of the archive without donating a server or other services/contributions to the community.
    You know, Big D, that I like to let the servers rest for a while. If you see that I have been endlessly downloading*, then it would have me been angry about a sad mac and endlessly trying to find one version that does work in SoftMac. Sorry for my old mischef. I am quite naghty sometims.
    * I don't try to download Big Ass files frequently anyway. I know that a happy server means fast downloading and a happy Duff :):) .
    Best,
    Po Lu
    P.S. I've changed minds about wanting the whole archive.
    P.P.S And what does a boot in the ass mean? I've never heard this before. Anyway, exquese me**, i've got to download mac os 7.6?
    **Haha star wars Jar Jar Binks!
  • po lu wrote:
    P.P.S And what does a boot in the ass mean? I've never heard this before. Anyway, exquese me**
    A boot in the ass is the equivalent of saying a kick in the ass. The Boot is this, so there for it is basically a kick in the ass...
  • birdy wrote:
    po lu wrote:
    P.P.S And what does a boot in the ass mean? I've never heard this before. Anyway, exquese me**
    A boot in the ass is the equivalent of saying a kick in the ass. The Boot is this, so there for it is basically a kick in the ass...
    Thanks!
    -PoLu
    *Bump*
    I think now that this topic is worthless since there was a topic with the same stuff in there made in the First Days Of WinBoards.
    SoundMotion3000, check out this topic:/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6291
    Sorry for the bump.