Holiday Jackpot

edited December 2015 in Hardware
I got a whole bunch of hardware from a friend for free, figured I'd share the rough inventory and some thoughts with you.

- 10 Socket 462 motherboards
- three Slot 1 motherboards
- two AM2 motherboards
- one Socket 478 motherboard

- three Slot 1 cpu's
- 22 sticks of SDRAM

-12 AGP graphics cards
- two PCI graphics cards
- three network adapters
- two sound cards
- one serial port card

- two ok psu's
- one loud psu
- cd-drives
- floppy drives
- four generic cases

- Compaq server with dual socket 8 motherboard, 256 Mb of dram and three special hard drives

+ some additional junk

I harvested fans from several broken psu's, picked a few good enough cd-drives and floppy drives. I put together two Slot 1 -machines and I'll probably pick one or two interesting S462 motherboards and throw the rest away. I'm assuming AM2-boards are broken and throwing them away too. I'm a little bit torn about keeping the S478 board. I'll keep the PCI gpu's and some of the AGP ones and throwing rest of them away as well.

It would of course be nice to sell/give the excess away but this stuff tends to sit so long before a buyer (or anyone at all) appears. I don't have the luxury of time and space to hold to all of this.

These Slot 1 machines are neat, I haven't had anything this old since the '90s or so. Windows 98 runs great, case is quiet and small. Neat break from more modern stuff. One of the cases came with a assembly report from 1998, it lists the hardware in great detail so I can possibly recreate the exact same setup, which is extra neat. Too bad it doesn't list selling price or serial for the os.

I left my proper camera home for the holidays (spending it with family) so I can't provide worthwhile pictures atm, but I'll be posting something next year when I have the original machine assembled down to the smallest possible detail.

Comments

• What are some of the stuff you don't want? Might be interested in them.
  • They are in Finland, I imagine that'll kill your interest.
  • I love it when I hit jackpot. Many years ago I had received six boxes of parts from a friend that owned a computer repair company. They were sitting in storage for years. Motherboards ranging from 286s to 486s, a slew of Seagate ESDI drives, add-in cards from controllers to sound. Didn't have much in RAM but I wish I still had those parts because two years ago another friend that use to do IT work in the Navy gave me a huge collection of memory modules from 30pin to DDR.
  • tatte wrote:
    They are in Finland, I imagine that'll kill your interest.

Not really, I live in Germany. Only thing that might is dealing with DHL International.
  • Generic ATX cases and parts are always good to have. Motherboards with real floppy controllers are useful for those wanting to interoperate with even earlier (8088/8086/286) systems. Do any of those motherboards have ISA slots?
  • Somehow stuff tends to be useless up until just after you have gotten rid of it. :P
    SomeGuy wrote:
    Do any of those motherboards have ISA slots?
    Three of them does, the Slot 1 motherboards. One of which is a spare.
    What are some of the stuff you don't want? Might be interested in them.
    I'll make a complete inventory this weekend (since it's christmas and everything right now). I doubt you find S462 motherboards really interesting though. There's this MSI MS6117 VER1:1 Slot 1 motherboard and that monstrous Compaq server with Socket 8 motherboard, but if I start taking that server apart I might find myself wanting to keep it.

Getting a bit off topic but we found out last night that old hardware is way more expensive in USA than it is in Finland. In here you can get still useful stuff like 9800GT for around 10 euros, while in the states that turned out to be worth around $40. What's the German market like?
  • The Socket A's I might be interested in, depending on the board. I know the Slot 1's definitely caught my eye, especially since I have a salvaged slot 1 P2 in my drawer. Would like to know the additional "junk".
    What form factor is the server?
    tatte wrote:
    What's the German market like?
    German market? Fairly decent. Some places give away stuff, and others sell it dirt cheap.
    Local computer store gave me a sapphire after they did an upgrade job. Even got a 1600x1200 CRT for free, although its geometry is junk.(will post later)
    If you really want stuff, there are some in-store e-waste dumps that are happy to unload whatever to you, unless the employee(s) there having a bad day.
  • The spares that are useless to me but I can test to see if they work if someone's interested:

Socket 462
    Asus A7V133-C
    Asus A7NBX-LA
    Asus A7VBX-LA
    Asus A7VBX-X
    MSI K7T Turbo VER: 3
    MSI K7T PRO VER: 1
    MSI MS-6380E VER: 1.0
    Gigabyte GA-72M

Slot 1
    MSI MS6117 VER1:1

Graphics cards
    Matrox MGA-G100A-E
    Matrox MGA-G100A-E
    RV280-LE_A062 R1.01

Additional junk refers just to random bits of metal and plastic, some heat sinks and whatnot. Nothing particularly useable. All of this will be heading to recycling on Monday. I'll get back to you on that server.
  • The heatsinks are definitely of use as I have a project that also involves keeping something away from 200C.

Would really like the MS6117 and one of the Matroxes. Could probably even stuff the whole thing in a 1u case if I mod the socket.
  • Shipping fees from Finland to Germany for such a package seem to be 20-25 euros depending on weight. If you're willing to pay that and don't mind that I can't send them in an antistatic bag (for some reason my family doesn't keep a stack of those around) I can mail them to you. Feel free to try and find a cheaper way deliver them if you're more familiar with shipping stuff to other countries.

I won't ship heatsinks as weight counts and more importantly, they would be pain in the ass to pack with the rest of the stuff.
  • Let's figure this out on PM, as I can pay reasonable shipping costs.
    I'm getting a few heatsinks with fans from someone this week, so it's ok.