How do I upload to the FTP Server?

edited January 2016 in Site Issues
Hi,

I just got my unique username and password to go into the FTP Server to upload the Windows 98 Secrets Bonus Pack. Yet when I went to the FTP, it just showed a blank page showing "Index of/", "Name", "Size", and "Date Modified". I'm confused. How do I upload to it?

Please note that I've never used an FTP Server.

Any help would be appreciated!

~Benjy

Comments

• It sounds like you are trying use a web browser to access the FTP server?

"Modern" web browsers can slice, dice, make toast, and use 4 gigabytes of RAM doing it, but the last time I checked they still can't upload to internet standard FTP servers (or do a piss poor job).

What you need is an FTP client program. There are many of them, but the last time I checked "FileZilla" was still the most popular free FTP client.

With Filezilla, all you have to do is plug in the provided ftp site name, username, and password, and click "quckconnect", and drag and drop your file right in there.

When it is done, make sure you see a copy of your file in the FTP folder window. Then go back to the contribution web page and click "upload complete".

I don't know for sure if that "Windows 98 Secrets Bonus" is worth posting or not, but I'll at least take a look at it.
  • FileZilla's devs actively engage in SourceForge's shitware. Use WinSCP (despite the name, it does FTP as well)
  • ampharos wrote:
    FileZilla's devs actively engage in SourceForge's shitware. Use WinSCP (despite the name, it does FTP as well)

I like WinSCP but FileZilla generally performs faster, plus the option of allowing up to 10 simultaneous transfers is nice if you have to transfer a lot of files.
  • Thank you guys. I just needed to understand FTP Servers more :P

By the way, does FileZilla work on Ubuntu? I just wanted to know so I can transfer through my 2008 HP D5750 Small Form Factor desktop PC.
  • Yes FileZilla does in fact work in Ubuntu along with other Linux Distros'. Just type this into your terminal to install FileZilla, you could also get it from the software center.
    sudo apt-get install filezilla

• birdy wrote:
    Yes FileZilla does in fact work in Ubuntu along with other Linux Distros'. Just type this into your terminal to install FileZilla, you could also get it from the software center.
    sudo apt-get install filezilla

And you also avoid SourceForge! :P