2015: The Year of Hard Drive Failures

BODBOD
edited January 2016 in Hardware
So, up until this point, I've been pretty damn lucky with HDDs. I'd lost maybe 2 in 10+ years. Until this year.

It started in May when my fileserver's boot drive started to gain reallocated sectors. So I decided to replace it with 2 2.5 WD Black drives and run them in a ZFS mirror. Within days of setting this up, one drive shat itself, and promptly died. After getting the replacement from Amazon, 3 weeks later, the other decided to kill itself too. Useless.

4 weeks ago one of the 8 2TB drives in my storage array started developing reallocated sectors also, only this was out of warranty, so £50 later I get a new one. then joyously, this week. Another has decided to follow suit. Fortunately this one is under warranty so It's going back to Seagate.

Ugh.

Comments

• > Seagate

there's your problem right there
  • I'm honestly suprised you have had issues with WD. I have had my WD Green drive (which people say is shitty and unreliable) for almost a couple years and I have had no problems with it yet.
  • This year I've had terrible luck with hard drives in laptops. I lost 2 Seagate Drives, 5 Hitachi Drives, and a Toshiba Drive. Western Digitals have been fine though, so I think I'm sticking by WD from now on. (On a sliiighttllly unrelated note, I also lost a few motherboards.)
  • How funny, this year is also the year for me when I lost the most hard drives (only two, but I don't think I ever had any hard drives die in the past). One which was a 3TB Seagate drive someone put in my iMac before I bought it, and the other one which was a 320GB stock drive in a laptop. Both sucked, so I had to change them. Now I have put a 1TB WD Blue in my iMac, then migrated it to my PC I built in May, and it worked absolutely flawlessly. And the laptop drive I too changed it to a drive that was laying around, so hopefully it doesn't die either.
  • I'm actually incredibly lucky with hard drives, never had one fail on me before.
  • You better find some wood to knock on.

We've had two WD red drives fail at work this year. One wasn't even 6 months old.
  • ampharos wrote:
    > Seagate

there's your problem right there

I've lost as many Seagate HDDs as I've lost other brands. At this point I'm inclined to say they're all as bad as each other, at least from my personal experience of the last 15ish years.

*Cue someone mentioning backblaze statistics*
  • Only drive I've ever had fail was an Hitachi DeskStar 250GB, and a very peculiar problem at that. The drive would force the power supply to cut out if, and only if, an IDE cable was attached to the drive. I tested random hard drives with the same cable with no problems, and the drive itself would power up without a fuss if I disconnected the IDE cable from it.
  • Had a SeaGate momentus fail recently after 3 years of use, replaced with an HGST.
    Also have a WD failing on me, and I have yet to get a replacement. It's about 4-5 years old, so that's a little acceptable.
    So far, seagate is the worst, followed by WD. First time with HGST, so I'll have to see about them.

Have an SSD that would slow to unbearable speeds, until I figured out the heat generated by my laptop was the root cause. Fixed that when I changed the grease.
  • HGST's have a pretty good rep currently. Seagate had a really bad batch of drives and that's left a bitter taste in a lot of mouths.

Personally, *knocks on some wood*, the only drives I've had problems with were WD's. The seagate drives I have are from before they had their bad batch and they seem to do alright and all the drives in my fileserver are HGST's. I do have WD red's in my backup NAS but they've been doing alright for now.

At work, however, I've seen a lot of failed Seagate drives. Usually all manufactured around the same time. Like I said, they had a really bad batch of drives.
  • Most manufacturers have had a really bad batch at some point. WDs 40GBs were fucking terrible if I remember right, and Samsung had some dodgy 1TBs? I think.
  • I've had 3 Seagate Hard Drives die, I thought Western Digital wasn't that good considering I've had 3 of their drives die on me. This was before my 3rd Seagate Drive died, Only one Hard Drive died on me this year and it was a 60GB Seagate from my QuickSilver Power Macintosh G4.

So to me, I've had an equal number of Seagate and Western Digital Drives die. So I can't say which is more reliable.
  • I had a semi-failure with my 1TB HD, although it was human error. Cord came lose from moving the computer and was given me BSODS.

Not just HD failures, my laptop I'm using as of posting this is on it's last legs too. Screen messed up giving me red "gargle" on black backgrounds and cyan "gargle" on white backgrounds and every once in a while, screen goes blank for about 5 mins. then comes back on. I've had problems with it since I got it and honestly have no clue how it's still working. Next chance I get, WILL get new!
  • GenKilljoy wrote:
    Next chance I get, WILL get new!
    Unless you're buying old, don't buy used!

Apparently you learned the hard way. :shock: