Other forums

edited January 2016 in Site Issues
Since WinBoards is scheduled to close this year as we all know, I wonder if anybody here knows of similar places that some of us can flock to. The only one I know of so far is Bleeping Computer but I do know some others have mentioned related places too.

I hope nobody or even the staff mind me posting this. It's just so that we can probably still see each other wherever we end up in once this forum closes in favour of its new discussion system.

Comments

• I have an account at vintage-computer, but I don't post there much and I'm not anywhere near an expert at vintage machines.
  • I knew of Vintage Computer only that I saw SomeGuy mentioning it. Don't really have an interest in it though, as it is a place dedicated to hardware.
  • I believe it was said there will be some discussion sections added, so it won't be like there will be nothing once the new system is deployed. Also, the IRC chatroom will still exist with the new winworld and that's a great place for discussion.
  • Oh... I guess I overlooked that. My mistake.
  • I suggest having a look at vogons.org. They're dedicated more towards hardware enthusiasts (such as myself), but they do have a sub-forum that deals with software as well.
  • I'm not precisely sure what Stitch has up his sleeve. He did mention something about adding discussion groups to each product. But I'm not really sure how that would work out for general discussion. Personally I'm just so damn used to regular old forums.

The vintage computing forum is great for vintage hardware, but the mods there frown on most discussion of sharing equally vintage software. While they might turn a blind eye on sharing a BIOS, a diagnostics disk, or some pre-PC OS to repair some hardware, they regularly nuke posts involving sharing games or productivity applications.

Also, new registrations are still closed on WinWorld. While that keeps out the retards (it has been so quiet lately), we may be missing out on possible contributions.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Also, new registrations are still closed on WinWorld. While that keeps out the retards (it has been so quiet lately), we may be missing out on possible contributions.
    Good thing I registered at the time I did. I nearly missed out.
  • There's also OSBA, but that is just a W10 fanboy forum.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    While that keeps out the retards (it has been so quiet lately), we may be missing out on possible contributions.

If anything, they'd take it down to the BA and then some member would bring it from there to the web.
    Only thing remotely exciting there recently was a fake of Neptune 5056, put out by some kid.
    Kids...
  • "BA" also has the same problem, they only seem to be interested any anything with "Microsoft", "Windows", "Beta", or "10" in the name. It's like any history outside of that is not worth preserving.
  • Why are these places worshipping such an overrated (but shitty OS) is way beyond me... let's hope no other place is like that too.

Unless I can just hop in just to screw with them all, haha :twisted:
  • Bry89 wrote:
    Why are these places worshipping such an overrated (but shitty OS) is way beyond me... let's hope no other place is like that too.

You'll get so many downvotes on OSBA, that you'll get the publicly shamed status in a week.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    "BA" also has the same problem, they only seem to be interested any anything with "Microsoft", "Windows", "Beta", or "10" in the name. It's like any history outside of that is not worth preserving.

Yes but 10TB of Windows Vista builds were certainly worth preserving.

Their priorities are whack.
  • dosbox wrote:
    Bry89 wrote:
    Why are these places worshipping such an overrated (but shitty OS) is way beyond me... let's hope no other place is like that too.

You'll get so many downvotes on OSBA, that you'll get the publicly shamed status in a week.
    Ah well, that's their problem.
  • stitch wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:
    "BA" also has the same problem, they only seem to be interested any anything with "Microsoft", "Windows", "Beta", or "10" in the name. It's like any history outside of that is not worth preserving.

No not 10TB of Vista, but 40TB of Win10 ESD + between 20-30TB of Win10 ISO. Just look at the FTP log it's ridiculous.

I should mention the bizarre contribution guidelines and formats that have been chosen.
    "MDF" = WTF. I hadn't heard of that format till two three years ago when they put it up.
    Hate to be talking of another forum I'm still active in, but it's the truth.
  • stitch wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:

No not 10TB of Vista, but 40TB of Win10 ESD + between 20-30TB of Win10 ISO. Just look at the FTP log it's ridiculous.

I should mention the bizarre contribution guidelines and formats that have been chosen.
    "MDF" = WTF. I hadn't heard of that format till two three years ago when they put it up.

They have that PJ guy as their library manager who just spouts off FUD and gets anal when you don't worship all his "hard work".

Meanwhile I have SomeGuy as the WW library manager and he just kicks ass.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    What most of them don't realize is they are being manipulated by Microsoft. It is a form of advertising. Microsoft WANTS these betas to be out there, but if Microsoft just posted them all for free download, nobody would care. (plenty of other reasons they can't do that too) So instead they let builds "leak" and let the kids feel all naughty for having them. And ultimately these kids are more likely to buy the final product.
    I should mention the bizarre contribution guidelines and formats that have been chosen. "MDF" = WTF. I hadn't heard of that format till two three years ago when they put it up.
    Some of those guidelines are for good reasons. Although I think it is wrong to support software that intentionally installs malware, or use a format that probably won't work in 10 years. I'm sure they got tired of receiving copy protected games CDs in ISO format that obviously would not work.

What really seems to get peoples panties in a wad is the requirement for a scan. There was a day when vendors were literally giving away scanners as promotional items. It should be a non-issue. but these days it seems like nobody even knows what a scanner IS. They religiously want to use only their toy iPhomes or whatever, and perceive a scanner as too expensive (even though they spend who knows how much money on stuff for their iCrap.)

As for some of the other crazy detailed requirements: http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/vanhalen.asp
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Bry89 wrote:
    What most of them don't realize is they are being manipulated by Microsoft. It is a form of advertising. Microsoft WANTS these betas to be out there, but if Microsoft just posted them all for free download, nobody would care. (plenty of other reasons they can't do that too) So instead they let builds "leak" and let the kids feel all naughty for having them. And ultimately these kids are more likely to buy the final product.
    I should mention the bizarre contribution guidelines and formats that have been chosen. "MDF" = WTF. I hadn't heard of that format till two three years ago when they put it up.
    Some of those guidelines are for good reasons. Although I think it is wrong to support software that intentionally installs malware, or use a format that probably won't work in 10 years. I'm sure they got tired of receiving copy protected games CDs in ISO format that obviously would not work.

What really seems to get peoples panties in a wad is the requirement for a scan. There was a day when vendors were literally giving away scanners as promotional items. It should be a non-issue. but these days it seems like nobody even knows what a scanner IS. They religiously want to use only their toy iPhomes or whatever, and perceive a scanner as too expensive (even though they spend who knows how much money on stuff for their iCrap.)

As for some of the other crazy detailed requirements: http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/vanhalen.asp

Kind of unrelated - but I think if it will be little effort I will try and work a manual reader into the site. The more I think about it the manuals we do have are kind of awkwardly just a download. We could probably be showing inline PDF's and maybe OCR them?
  • The manuals I scanned myself are already OCRed, and I think most from other sources are also OCRed. Having the contents directly indexed by Google would absolutely make some good Googlefodder. I have just a few manuals directly posted as PDF on my own site and they do get many hits.
  • edited March 2016
    stitch wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:

And yet no one is interested in preserving paper tapes.

Windows 10 is... too new to be archived like that. But all they say is this:

"ITS A BETA!!!!! GET 100 TB OF IT!!!!!"

Frankly, Windows 10 is meh. I'm starting to consider "making the jump" to OS X. I also enjoy Linux (Ubuntu 15.10 and Fedora 23), but still use Windows as my primary OS. What really turned me off from Win10 was the spying.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Bry89 wrote:
    Well, I guess that explains everything.
    Frankly, Windows 10 is meh. I'm starting to consider "making the jump" to OS X. I also enjoy Linux (Ubuntu 15.10 and Fedora 23), but still use Windows as my primary OS. What really turned me off from Win10 was the spying.
    What about the new Start Menu, with all its gigantic tiles that advertise random crap shoehorned into it? And the fact that Microsoft are forcing this piece of shit down our necks? And like you, I'm making the jump to OS X too in the foreseeable future and as I said in one other thread, I'm not too bothered about Linux even though I liked using Ubuntu under a VM.

Anyways, any other tech forums we can mention here? As long as their communities aren't mindless Win10 zombies like the other two.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:
    Bry89 wrote:
    Well, I guess that explains everything.
    What about the new Start Menu, with all its gigantic tiles that advertise random crap shoehorned into it? And the fact that Microsoft are forcing this piece of shit down our necks? And like you, I'm making the jump to OS X too in the foreseeable future and as I said in one other thread, I'm not too bothered about Linux even though I liked using Ubuntu under a VM.

Anyways, any other tech forums we can mention here? As long as their communities aren't mindless Win10 zombies like the other two.
    I didn't feel like going on a "Win10 Sucks!" rant. It does suck, but many have said that before. But yes, the advertising (CANDY CRUSH???) is too far. Remember when Windows was an open platform?

Anyway, VOGONS might be good. Or maybe the new arrangement will be better? I'm always willing to try something new.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Bry89 wrote:
    There are actual cases when such evil marketing techniques are used, but I don't think this is the case, unless someone at Microsoft enjoys actually reading these forum posts and kids arguing about this BS. But honestly? I doubt it gives them any monetary advantage, as most betas are from products that aren't even sold or related to the real thing. Beta distributors don't pay anything to Microsoft (directly or through ads), so unless it's something really hidden, then that's most likely not the case.

Regarding W10, I'm starting to get annoyed with the Windows 10 hate. It's actually pretty decent, and Windows 8/.1 was much worse than this. They do in fact do stuff like spying and advertising, but those are fairly minor and can be disabled, so it's not that bad.
  • garirry wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:
    Bry89 wrote:
    I'm starting to get annoyed with the Windows 10 hate. It's actually pretty decent, and Windows 8/.1 was much worse than this. They do in fact do stuff like spying and advertising, but those are fairly minor and can be disabled, so it's not that bad.
    You read my mind. I know that Windows 10 maybe isn't the best OS, but let's face it. People hate Microsoft because it is a big company. The bigger you are, the more mistakes you'll make. No one hates a startup.

Remember that.
  • The bigger the company/product, the more chances there are that it becomes cool to hate on it (or otherwise fanboy on it).
  • Bry89 wrote:

I've taken a look at OSBA, and no one seems to be a fanboy of it, there just seem to be people who like it. Do you equate liking an OS with being a fanboy?

I agree with garirry, this Win10 hate is getting really annoying and it is actually a pretty good OS. If you like Win7, you can stick with it - there are ways to uninstall the "Get Windows 10" tray icon application, and also - before you install Windows updates you should actually take a look at what they're doing, and if any look suspicious, google them.

Also, should this really be in site issues? I think this is something that should be discussed on IRC or something, this isn't an issue with WinWorld itself.
  • I never got why people even worship beta's. Old windows Beta's I can understand, but why do people even bother with using and installing newer beta's? I also have nothing against Win 10, but the hate towards it must go away.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    Also, should this really be in site issues? I think this is something that should be discussed on IRC or something, this isn't an issue with WinWorld itself.
    There was nowhere else I can stick this in, though I would've dropped it under Random Crap if it hadn't been locked. Never really thought of bringing this up on IRC, mainly because I've never been a user of it.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Face it, Will we still use optical drives in 10 years? If not then it probably won't matter enough if MDF becomes unsupported by then, Considering many computers being sold today have no optical drives. Desktop Towers are the only ones that have optical drives nowadays. If it still matters they'll still be able to deal with MDF files on their old computers.

I really don't get BA wants MDFs, CUE/BIN is more common and is pretty similar, Their scans are enough to prove that it's original, Until they show how MDF is superior to CUE/BIN, I don't believe them, They did however, Find a way to install the free version of Alcohol 120% without the malware. Not everyone knows how to get this version though.

Their scanning policy is sort of reasonable considering every computer made in the past 5 years can handle 600dpi images properly. Plus how will you be able to see the genuine holograms at a lower scan resolution?

This does not mean I support BA and their guidelines.

Ontopic:I don't know a lot of good places similar to this, But there's a chance the new discussion system will be as good as, If not better than the forum. So the best thing we can do is wait and see.
  • Note: Windows 10 discussion split: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8101&p=137105