Help with installing classic Mac OS software?

edited January 2016 in Software
I'm starting to get stumped on how to get software installed on my powerbook. I'm trying to get After Dark installed on it, but I can't really get it to install. The installer looks fine from my mini, but gets corrupted by the time it reaches my powerbook.

How I'm copying the files to floppy is I'm downloading them on my mini, sticking them on a flash drive, going over to my Win2k machine that has a floppy drive, and I'm using HPVExplorer to format the disk and copy the files over. I'm fairly certain that HPVExplorer is the one screwing up the files as it seems to be splitting up the installers for some reason. Windows Explorer seems to displaying the all the files fine, on the other hand.

I've also tried using a slightly older version of After Dark to make sure it wasn't a bad installer, but that ended the same exact way. Now I've also tried TransMac, but that doesn't seem to have floppy disc support. I really have no clue where to go from here, any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments

• The files have lost their resource fork and types if you copied it to a Windows formatted disk, and used Windows with it. I'd recommend wrapping them in BinHex/MacBinary to protect them when on non-Mac filesystems.

Also note most AppleTalk servers like Services for Macintosh or Netatalk will preserve resource forks - Windows with its integrated mechanism, or Netatalk using AppleDouble/Single.
  • ampharos wrote:
    The files have lost their resource fork and types if you copied it to a Windows formatted disk, and used Windows with it. I'd recommend wrapping them in BinHex/MacBinary to protect them when on non-Mac filesystems.

I'm guessing a FAT32 formatted flash drive can do the same thing? The floppy disk itself was Mac formatted though as HPVExplorer can read/write to Mac formatted diskettes.

Also, how exactly do you wrap the installer? A quick google search didn't really turn up anything and I've never really done that before.
  • And this is why we need to get proper floppy disk images rather than shitty SIT archives.

Basically, you have to get the entire SIT archive to your target machine in one piece, and then extract with Stuffit. At least stuffit usually isn't a bitch when the resource type is missing or wrong - just drag the SIT file to its icon, and it should decompress.

Extracting a SIT file on Windows will exclude resource fork data. Similarly, copying mac files to a FAT drive will usually lose resource fork data.

At a glance, 2.0 should be small enough to fit on one 1.44mb disk, but I don't know how you would split and re-combine SIT files.

One possibility to to use a Basillisk II installation. Insert the SIT file in to a mac hard drive volume with HPVExplorer, then extract the files inside a Basillisk II session and use that to make floppy disk images from within Basillisk II that you can take to another machine and write to a real disk. (I assume we are talking about 1.44mb disks here).
  • Well, I had almost finished a reply to SomeGuy's post when I just realized how much I have been overthinking things.

I did actually try putting the SIT archive of After Dark 2.0 I got from Macintosh Garden (because the WW copy is marked incomplete) on the floppy, but it wouldn't decompress because I overlooked the part on the page that said expander 5.5 was needed to decompress it (I have v4.5 currently on the powerbook). I then failed to update it to 5.5 because I took the installer out of the BIN archive it was in on my mini. I'm guessing if I had left the installer in its BIN archive and decompressed it on the powerbook, it would of worked.

What also would be probably easier is to just use the BIN archive of After Dark they also had for download and eliminate the process of updating expander to 5.5, though I might update it anyway just for shits and giggles.

Anyways, I'm probably going to try again tomorrow when I'm a little more awake, thanks for all the help!