Getting a slim Windows 95

edited February 2016 in Software
I'm interested in hypermiling Windows 9x disk usage, primarily for kicks, but also to find a good use for old cheap CF cards.

To start - how do you "trick" Windows into an upgrade, (when it's really clean) making it take less space for initial install?

Comments

• ampharos wrote:
    I'm interested in hypermiling Windows 9x disk usage, primarily for kicks, but also to find a good use for old cheap CF cards.
    Really? You're going to put Win95 on a CF card? Cool. What version are you using? 95a or OSR 2? I'd probably recommend using the floppy version if you're not using OSR 2 and deselecting all the optional components. The CD version is somewhat large.

This page should be helpful if you are using OSR 2:

http://toastytech.com/evil/lab.html#rem95

Remove all optional components, as I stated before. IE is useless.
    ampharos wrote:
    To start - how do you "trick" Windows into an upgrade, (when it's really clean) making it take less space for initial install?
    I'm not sure if that can even be done. AFAIK the upgrade CDs have only the files for an upgrade, not an actual clean install. I am probably wrong though, as I've never tried to do that.
  • The Windows 95 upgrade is only an upgrade in the licensing sense. It contains all of the files for a complete install and simply checks for the existence of a qualifying product before installing.

When installing the Windows 95 upgrade on a blank hard drive, you can present it with a Windows 3.1 floppy disk #1 at the check and it will proceed.

A more convenient workaround is to create a file named "msbatch.inf" in the windows CD setup folder and insert the lines:
    [Setup]
    ProductType=1

That will make it think it is a full install.

The original RTM release will be the most frugal on space.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    A more convenient workaround is to create a file named "msbatch.inf" in the windows CD setup folder and insert the lines:
    [Setup]
    ProductType=1

That will make it think it is a full install.
    Wow. I never knew that. Maybe WinWorld should have a wiki so all this vintage knowledge is preserved? It might come in handy some day.
  • Yes, I am using the RTM floppy release, put into a CD so I don't get disk wrapper's elbow inside.

This might be useful too.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Yes, I am using the RTM floppy release, put into a CD so I don't get disk wrapper's elbow inside.
    Also, remember, the files are useless w/o the boot disk. Either add the contents of the floppy to the CD or use a boot floppy.