Explaining Linux

edited March 2016 in Software
As nearly every one of us knows about Linux and its wonders, there's a lot of people out there that have no clue what it is and at times, I'm going to find myself in a bit of a pickle if I ever mention it to anyone, even to those that are computer-savvy. So, how would you explain Linux to anyone you meet or talk to, without going all too technical about it? I would prefer a simpler definition of it so that I'm not rambling endlessly about it.

Why I'm asking about this is because I do have the urge to mention Linux to those that I know, and hopefully this can be useful for my job prospects for the near future.

Comments

• Hmm... you could always explain it as the rock-solid, safe, secure, and private OS that is hidden from the average joe by evil M$ and sleazy OEMs. The clueless user would find it easy to wrap their head around that. Don't give them Slackware, though :P

What do you mean by computer-savvy, though? Do you mean "knows how 2 plai xb0x all day MLG 420 l33t" types, or actually smart people? If they're the latter, they probably already know Linux.

If they're on the net, I find this very useful: http://www.explainthatstuff.com/linux.html

I've thrown together a custom short def:

Linux is, in simplest terms, an operating system. It is the software on a computer that enables applications and the computer operator to access the devices on the computer to perform desired functions. But what sets it apart from Windows or OS X? It's open source. Thousands of programmers all over the world contribute to it, and you can do whatever you want with Linux. Because one vendor doesn't control Linux, Linux has no fear of being sold, closed, or destroyed. Linux is infinitely more customizable, secure, and private than any proprietary (closed source) OS.

Is that good?

Also, in job prospects, remember BSD too!
  • I meant "computer-savvy" as like people that have a decent amount of technological knowledge. Even if it's folk that work in PC World or in the Apple Store, or even in a small computer repair shop that's down the road from me, they may not know about Linux but I guess it's worth a try to mention it. Also, I never really cared about BSD to be honest nor do I know anything about it.

Your given definition of it seems alright for me to say to some people out there, and it would keep them interested for a bit. Thanks a bunch :)
  • Hmm... you could always explain it as the rock-solid, safe, secure, and private OS that is hidden from the average joe by evil M$ and sleazy OEMs. The clueless user would find it easy to wrap their head around that. Don't give them Slackware, though :P

Why shouldn't he give them slackware? Slackware is perfectly easy to install and use. I first used it back when i was a noob to linux, and I had no issue with using it.

Also...

Linux in itself is just a kernel, not an operating system. Linux plus a userland (like GNU or some other one), would make it an operating system.
  • Slackware doesn't resolve dependencies, nor does it have the automagic properties of Ubuntu or even Debian. Generally, I would only recommend it if you've already used it. If you want to be a pompous elitist who doesn't like handholding, Gentoo and Arch, or even LFS are more mainstream and/or better options.
  • When ever I talk about Unix and Linux systems to normal people, I usually give them a summery of what it basically is. I tell them its just a computer system. it's different from Windows and similar to Mac OS X. Even though its not true, it still gives them a basic understanding that it is not windows based. My best friend is really interested in the differences between Linux and Windows systems and I have to usually dumb down the jargon so he could understand the differences.

I have told my self that the more I know about Linux, Networking, or any other computer related thing, I further separate my self from the rest of the world. This is only due to the fact that many of my friends do not even know of Linux's existence. That and its hard to vent out with raw computer speak to some one.

Also slackware is more for the intermediate Linux user, but heck, what ever floats your boat. I'm a happy camper either way.
  • Hmm... you could always explain it as the rock-solid, safe, secure, and private OS that is hidden from the average joe by evil M$ and sleazy OEMs.

Do you mean "knows how 2 plai xb0x all day MLG 420 l33t" types, or actually smart people? If they're the latter, they probably already know Linux.

Can you please not put stuff like that in a thread? It's completely unnecessary and just annoys most people.

Anyways, whenever I explain Linux to an average computer user, I just tell them that it's an operating system (Yes, I know, blah blah it's a kernel. I don't think average computer users even know what a kernel is! This is just a simplified explanation.) that is way too advanced for anyone besides power users in its current state, although some developers may improve linux enough in the future that it can be used by a normal consumer.

Why? Because that's the truth. If they want to actually try Linux, I get them to use a Virtual Machine or grab a spare computer.
  • birdy wrote:
    My best friend is really interested in the differences between Linux and Windows systems and I have to usually dumb down the jargon so he could understand the differences.
    If he is really interested, why not teach him? Dumbing it down only hurts in the long run. If he is that curious, maybe you can inform him in a more advanced manner. It definitely won't hurt.
  • birdy wrote:
    My best friend is really interested in the differences between Linux and Windows systems and I have to usually dumb down the jargon so he could understand the differences.
    If he is really interested, why not teach him? Dumbing it down only hurts in the long run. If he is that curious, maybe you can inform him in a more advanced manner. It definitely won't hurt.
    Even if he's really interested, you can't just say "well Linux is a Unix-like kernel" without him becoming really confused. It takes time and not everyone likes to teach.
  • garirry wrote:
    Even if he's really interested, you can't just say "well Linux is a Unix-like kernel" without him becoming really confused. It takes time and not everyone likes to teach.
    Yeah, you can't just jump in and say what Linux is a Unix like Operating system with out seeing a puzzled face. Plus my friend is more of a car guy than a computer guy, and just trying to tell him about the differences from Linux to windows with technical words brings more questions than answers...
  • 66659hi wrote:
    that is way too advanced for anyone besides power users in its current state, although some developers may improve linux enough in the future that it can be used by a normal consumer.

Is this the early 2000s? Linux has come a long a way, that even an old grandma could use Linux without any or much trouble.
  • dosbox wrote:
    Is this the early 2000s? Linux has come a long a way, that even an old grandma could use Linux without any or much trouble.
    Clearly you have not have had the experience teaching a 90 year old how to use new technology. Yes, its very basic to use Linux. But the popularity and knowledge of Linux is absent. Even though the majority of people use Linux and Unix unintentionally, doesn't mean that they will accept it as a friendly Operating System. This is due to the fact that they are scared to venture out of their cozy windows machines, and face the ugh-known. That and their too accustomed their programs that are provided by Microsoft, and or other programs that they may feel like they will loose during the switch.
  • dosbox wrote:
    66659hi wrote:
    that is way too advanced for anyone besides power users in its current state, although some developers may improve linux enough in the future that it can be used by a normal consumer.

You can't deny that Linux is still a very complex system that requires skills in order to install programs or any other fairly basic task like that. Even the simplest of systems such as Ubuntu are not easy to master. And most GUIs are way too overwhelming to most people, unless you use something pathetic like Gnome 3 (and even then, it sucks). I think Unity could work too, but I need to experiment with that a bit more to draw conclusions. Anything else and you're in a hell-hole if you don't know/like computer work.
  • I keep it simple: "Linux is another operating system platform. Just like Windows and Mac. Linux in and of itself is a kernel (a 'root core' of an operating system) in which many operating systems are built on." <---That's the gist of what I say whenever I'm asked what Linux is.

I belong to the Microsoft Cult far and wide, but I've virtualized Linux for a couple of years now. It's been quite a bit of fun, and very educational.