What virtualization to run the mac software on.

edited April 2016 in Hardware
I want to run some of the applications for the old Macintosh, but I have no idea what software to emulate it with.
I have tried mini Vmac.

Comments

• You mean modern applications?

Check this: http://www.sysprobs.com/vmware-workstat ... -windows-7

You need VMWare Workstation but download the trial first if you don't have it and then you can buy it or pirate it if you really need it.

Just so you know, Macs require a very specific GPU to work properly, so if your computer doesn't have a supported GPU, there won't be graphic acceleration (fine for light productivity apps, but anything game or video is out of the question). And of course that means your PC needs to be powerful.
  • VMac is good for earlier mac titles that expect the small black and white screen. It usually emulates a Mac Plus, and can run MacOS 1.1 to MacOS 7.5.5.

Basilisk II is good for later m68K based titles that expect a higher resolution color screen. It emulates a number of later 68K based Mac models. Depending on the model, it normally can only run MacOS 7.x to 8.1.

SheepShaver is good for PPC-only titles and can run MacOS 9.x. It emulates a PPC Mac. M68K based applications would probably run slower in this emulator.

PearPC - not really a good emulator and extremely slow, but can technically run some early versions of PPC MacOS X. 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3, I if I recall correctly.
  • PearPC can run MacO X 10.4 (Tiger) also and yes, it really isn't a good emulator at all as certain programs on whichever OS X version you use will cause it to crash instantly. At least SheepShaver is far more stable than that, even that has its own share of problems too.
  • Thank you SomeGuy, Basilisk II worked!