Problem With SonicWall tz 100

edited April 2016 in Hardware
Hello every one. I have decided to fly back here since I am of need of some help. I'm trying to get this SonicWall tz 100 to work, but i am encountering errors on both Windows 2000 and Debian 8 machines. The problem is that when the router starts up, it starts working but after a minute or two the router does not give my machine a proper IPv4 address. Instead it gives the me the dreaded 169.x.x.x address. I have tried to login to the web interface but I am unable to due to an un-usable IP address. I'm wondering if there is a fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The 169.254.x.x address (APIPA) is not being handed out by the firewall, but is automatically configured by the client when it's not able to find a DHCP server. And also, ewww, SonicWall...

It seems strange it would only effect Windows 2000 and Debian 8.... How did you test to arrive at that conclusion?

To get to the web interface, set a static IP on your machine.
  • How I came to that conclusion was that I couldn't connect to both of those machines with that router. In Debian 8, wicd failed to connect to the wired network, and Windows 2000 connected but didn't receive an address. I have set a static ip address for the windows 2000 machine but I was unable to find the web portal in 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.254. Nor did ipconfig /all gave me the default gateway address. I'll try it again today.
  • How is your network configured?
  • Do you have any machines that are getting a proper IP from the router?

If so, you should be able to get the network/subnet and router IP from that, then statically assign an IP in the same network to the other machines, and hope it works...

C
  • So right now, I have a home server that is plugged into the main router. The reason I'm trying to get this router up and available is because I want to be able to bridge my home server from a different room.

I have not successfully got an official IP address from the Sonicwall tz 100 for any of my computers. I have set a static IP address which worked out, but I'm still unable to connect to the default gateway.
  • Have you tried resetting the router to the factory default settings with the reset button?
  • Draw up a diagram of how you have everything connected.
  • This is the what my current setup is. And yes I have tried to reset the router back to stock settings, but it did no use.
    eRoMra1.png
  • Where's the sonicwall on that diagram?