3dFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP Help

Hello all,

I recently acquired a 3dFX VooDoo 5 5500 AGP video card, however I've been having some issues with it and would like some advice on how to move forward. The issue I'm facing is (surprise, surprise) finding any drivers for it. I've tried Windows 98, Win2K, NT4 (which crashed during install), and even linux. However none of these had drivers for the card. I've also looked around on Vogons and other forums as well as in the WinWorld Library for any drivers. I did manage to find a few, however they either didn't detect the card, or they cause the OS to become unbootable (similarly to what happened with my OPTi ISA sound card under DOS and Win95).

Any help would be great because I would really like to use this card for games like Half-Life 1 and the early Quake games, as well as some other applications.

Thanks for the help,
TheWalkingContradiction

PS: I will probably have some pictures and other information later on today when I get home

Comments

• First result on google:
    http://www.falconfly.de/vsa100.htm

You will want to start with the 1.04 driver. That was the last official one. After 3DFX went under and the source code leaked, a pile of custom modified and enhanced versions popped up. If you see a variant that does something you want then go for it.

Since many Voodoo games were for DOS and used DOS GLIDE, your best bet for OS is probably Windows 98SE.
  • Thanks SomeGuy, I'll try that tonight. I've taken a look at the final original drivers and I wasn't able to get them to work under Win98FE, and I didn't bother with 98SE. However, I still find it weird how Win2K and WinME didn't have drivers that could be installed via the OS or during setup. I also never understood why WInME is hated as much as Vista, because I never had any issues with it when I used it for about 2 months.

I'll have an update soon,
    TheWalkingContradiction
  • Hello again,

I have downloaded the drivers for both Win98SE and Win2K, and will be trying them both starting with the Win2K drivers as I already have that installed. If anybody would like to know the specs of the computer I'm putting the card in let me know and I'd be happy to share! Thanks for the help, I'll be posting an update soon.

TheWalkingContradiction
  • Hello all, back with some good news!

I managed to install the Win2K drivers for the Voodoo card without any problems (which is surprising as I had tried this before and it refused to work). I am currently doing some testing, and will report back with some benchmarks and other info soon! If anybody wants, I can post the complete specs of the machine the Voodoo card is currently being used in.

Thanks again,
    TheWalkingContradiction

PS: Special shoutout to SomeGuy for helping me find the drivers and for his recommendations!