How to make Windows 98 display SVGA right out of the box.

edited June 2016 in Software
Most of the time many people(including me) complain about an old Windows version not getting of VGA. For Windows 98 this is a basic tutorial for having a screen size of 600x800 in Virtualbox without a random driver to do so. First off you need to get the preinstalled version of 98 SE on this site.Then get the full cd-rom(non-upgrade retail) because you are gonna need it.When the hard drive image asks you to, insert the CD-ROM.After that, when it brings you to the desktop, go to Control Panel and click on display. Then go to res+color tabs and then click on Advanced. On one of the tabs it says some VGA driver. Click change. Then tell Windows you want a list. Uncheck Compatible, then click on the Super VGA driver. Change to the driver, then reboot. Then go back to the Color tab on Display settings, then choose 600x800.Reboot, then you will see a huge desktop.Make sure to not change the colors because it does not work!And that is my tutorial on that stuff.....

Comments

• Doesn't work on VirtualBox 4.3.x. (Windows 9x support is broken on VirtualBox 5.0 and later)
  • As I recall that built in VESA driver is only for VESA 1.x compatible cards, and even back in the day it was kind of hit and miss if it worked, and it was a very slow driver.
    Erito17 wrote:
    (Windows 9x support is broken on VirtualBox 5.0 and later)
    That's Oracle for you.
  • As a note this only works on VirtualBox 5. Sorry that I forgot that.
  • You're better off using VMWare Player 12. There's a "free" version for non-commercial use, and provides VGA drivers (VMWare Tools) for Win9x right out of the box.
  • Icon wrote:
    You're better off using VMWare Player 12. There's a "free" version for non-commercial use, and provides VGA drivers (VMWare Tools) for Win9x right out of the box.
    Yeah but it did not work with Win2k beacause it thinks its Win95, so I use Virtual Box to do it.
    Icon wrote:
    and provides VGA drivers (VMWare Tools) for Win9x right out of the box.
    Ahem, this was made for doing it WITHOUT anything else not from MS on Win98.
  • robobox wrote:
    Icon wrote:
    You're better off using VMWare Player 12. There's a "free" version for non-commercial use, and provides VGA drivers (VMWare Tools) for Win9x right out of the box.
    Yeah but it did not work with Win2k beacause it thinks its Win95, so I use Virtual Box to do it.

Not sure what happened there, but I had no trouble installing Windows 2000 on it.

I realize this, but my point was that VMWare provides you with an appropriate display driver that you can download automatically from them, and works well. Much better than the 16-color SVGA driver provided my MS or VBEMP.
  • Icon wrote:
    robobox wrote:
    Icon wrote:

Not sure what happened there, but I had no trouble installing Windows 2000 on it.

I realize this, but my point was that VMWare provides you with an appropriate display driver that you can download automatically from them, and works well. Much better than the 16-color SVGA driver provided my MS or VBEMP.
    The reason for me not being able not to install Windows 2000 vmware tools is beacause it thought it was on Windows 95 which I upgraded from so it would not install.and it then somehow it stoped booting correctly(instead giving me BSOD's) so I stopped using VMWare because of this.EDIT: Nothing I tried worked. Maybe it got me a little bit further in the process, but it would always fail, so I may need help on this.