PCem not recognizing floppy image

edited June 2016 in Software
Hello WinWorld,

I recently came across a post on VOGONS mentioning PCem and I thought it could be a lighter alternative to VirtualBox when running old OSes. So I downloaded PCem v11 off the website along with the Generic XT Clone ROM BIOS on the downloads page. I've moved the PCem files to my directory of choice (C:\Program Files\PCem) and installed the ROM in the "genxt" folder ([PCem folder]\roms\genxt\). I then started up PCem and -voila!- it said

INSERT DISKETTE IN DRIVE A
PRESS ANY KEY

So I inserted a boot diskette (MS-DOS 5.00 bootdisk, from allbootdisks.com and then hit Enter. After a few seconds though, it didn't say "Starting MS-DOS" or anything like that, and it just returned to

INSERT DISKETTE IN DRIVE A
PRESS ANY KEY

No matter how many times I do this, it just keeps on saying that. What am I doing wrong?

Please help me fix this.

Host OS: Windows 10 32-bit, Emulated PCem: IBM PC XT (Generic XT Clone BIOS)

Erito17

P.S. Could someone please point me to a PCem Quick Start guide as well? It would help a lot.

Comments

• If you are emulating an XT class machine, it may not recognize 1.44mb disks. Try a 360K or 720K disk image.
  • I've tried this with an MS-DOS 6.22 1.2MB floppy image as well. It didn't work.

I can't seem to find a 360K or 720K floppy image. Could you direct me to a disk image?

Thanks,

Erito
  • Ummm... there's this nice little web site called WinWorldpc.com....

Off hand, try these: https://winworldpc.com/product/pc-dos/2x

There are plenty of other 360K images, but I haven't gotten around to relabeling them with their image size.

You can also take one of the other 1.44mb disk images, delete everything but IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, and COMMAND.COM and use WinImage to resize it to 360K or 720K.
  • I have a question.

Which program did you download from WinWorld?

If you download it from another site, I recommend to write the question on the site or PCEM forum.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Ummm... there's this nice little web site called WinWorldpc.com....

Off hand, try these: https://winworldpc.com/product/pc-dos/2x

There are plenty of other 360K images, but I haven't gotten around to relabeling them with their image size.

You can also take one of the other 1.44mb disk images, delete everything but IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, and COMMAND.COM and use WinImage to resize it to 360K or 720K.

Thank you!
    ibmpc5150 wrote:
    I have a question.

Which program did you download from WinWorld?

If you download it from another site, I recommend to write the question on the site or PCEM forum.

I downloaded some MS-DOS boot diskette images from http://allbootdisks.com.
  • Erito17 wrote:
    I've tried this with an MS-DOS 6.22 1.2MB floppy image as well. It didn't work.

I can't seem to find a 360K or 720K floppy image. Could you direct me to a disk image?

Thanks,

Erito

Your membership will be terminated if you do not start becoming immediately more resourceful with the materials we publish.
  • DOS versions until 5.0 were shipped on low density.
  • buricco wrote:
    DOS versions until 5.0 were shipped on low density.

Yes, 360KB media of Microsoft MS-DOS 5.0 (Not 5.0b) was available as Retail Package (Upgrade) or OEM (Normal)

To get 360KB / 720KB media of MS-DOS 6.0/6.2/6.21/6.22, they were available via Microsoft Mail order only.