Should I use Personal Web Server from IE 4 as a web server?

edited June 2016 in Software
I was wondering if PWS would work as a everyday web server for a flash 7 game. Would the old service work nowadays for that?

Comments

• Well, If you are that hardcore dedicated to it. I would host the server on another port above 1024 so it wont be found on a quick sweep of your public IP,
    When you share the link it will be yourdomainsucks.com:6753

But the main problem is that anyone and there grandmother can hack that system with the right tools on kail linux with no actual hard work needed.
  • alangoose wrote:
    Well, If you are that hardcore dedicated to it. I would host the server on another port above 1024 so it wont be found on a quick sweep of your public IP,
    When you share the link it will be yourdomainsucks.com:6753

But the main problem is that anyone and there grandmother can hack that system with the right tools on kail linux with no actual hard work needed.
    Yea I knew that. I wanted to see if I could have a free web server :roll:
  • You know Linux is a thing, right?
  • Even something like Abyss web server would be leaps and bounds better than PWS.

PWS will work, but it will get owned very quickly. It's in no form secure and there's numerous threats in the modern internet that simply did not exist when PWS was authored.

But seriously if you think IE 5 is truly fan worthy well then I'm not too impressed with your knowledge on such things.
  • I mean if as a joke I'd laugh, but even behind a reverse proxy it'd probably get owned. If you want to do things, there's better options.
  • If this was for a local web server on your network to test things out, then I would say yes it would be fine. But if your are seriously thinking about making it go public, then I'd say good luck. After 30 to 50 mins that server will be owned. It would be easy as apple pie (as compared to the other highly secure sites out there)..

Linux is a great alternative to this, and even runs on very old hardware. Even getting a BSD system would be more secure than IE 4 thing you got there... That being said, you could also dual boot what ever system you have and run that way. I ain't going to try to convert you into a linux or Unix person. Just giving you some options...
  • stitch wrote:
    Even something like Abyss web server would be leaps and bounds better than PWS.

PWS will work, but it will get owned very quickly. It's in no form secure and there's numerous threats in the modern internet that simply did not exist when PWS was authored.

But seriously if you think IE 5 is truly fan worthy well then I'm not too impressed with your knowledge on such things.
    Yeahh I knew that. I would use it to host .swf files because Google Sites cannot host them -unless- you are on a old browser for YouTube.
  • Actually the youtube player dropped flash 7/8 support now.