Sound Card Problem on Custom Built DOS Computer

edited June 2016 in Hardware
I have a problem with my sound blaster 16 PCI card in MS-DOS 6.22 and Free DOS. I've tried many different drivers and some drivers report that there's no sound card detected.

In DOOM under MS-DOS, there is music but no sound effect unless it's set to PC speaker.
In Free DOS there is no sound unless sound effects are set to PC speaker.
The sound card works fine in Windows 2000 on the same computer.

Can anyone offer help or direction to provide a solution to get full sound om this computer?

My hardware is;
Sound Baster 16 PCI, model number CT 4750.
ASRock G41-GS R2.0 mother board.
4gb of RAM.
A Intel Core Two Dual E8500 CPU.

My autoexec.bat look like this;
@ECHO OFF
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
lh c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:CDDRIVE /d:DVDDRIVE /m:15 /e /s /v
lh c:\dos\doskey /insert
LH C:\dos\mouse.com
SET SBPCI=C:\DOSDRV
C:\DOSDRV\SBLOAD
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
C:\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S /W=C:\WINDOWS

My config.sys looks like this;
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,umb
FILES=30
STACKS=9,256
DEVICEhigh=C:\DOS\emm386.exe NOEMS
DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
lastdrive=H
devicehigh=C:\dos\gcdrom.sys /d:CDDRIVE /C0
devicehigh=C:\dos\gcdrom.sys /d:DVDDRIVE /C1

Comments

• Prob because it is too new for FreeDOS/Ms-DOS. Perhaps what you're trying is a Windows 2000 driver. And keep looking. There is some working sound driver for DOS somewhere...EDIT: WAit wait wait wait wai wai.Those are WAY too big specs for DOS. Try building something less powerful than THAT at least...
  • robobox wrote:
    Prob because it is too new for FreeDOS/Ms-DOS. Perhaps what you're trying is a Windows 2000 driver. And keep looking. There is some working sound driver for DOS somewhere...EDIT: WAit wait wait wait wai wai.Those are WAY too big specs for DOS. Try building something less powerful than THAT at least...

the problem is that the pci doesn't emulate isa fully in the core 2 duo ich6 or newer chipset, get an older chipset it will work, first gen pentium 4 and older will work. I would get a pentium 3 mobo and that pci card will work with DOS than. also the williamette core pentium 4 will also work since the chipset with is ich5 should work with pci fully emulating isa. So that pci soundblaster should work under dos with an chipset of ich5 or older, or use a amd chipset which fully emulates isa under pci.
  • Thanks for your help. You both just reconfirmed what I already knew. This was a last resort to get it to work if some had a way.

Thanks.
  • Old Dos wrote:
    Thanks for your help. You both just reconfirmed what I already knew. This was a last resort to get it to work if some had a way.

Thanks.

Your welcome, I can't figure out why that intel would take out full isa emulation out of pci on ich6 chipset or newer, When amd's chipset still fully emulates it and that even the newest amd chipset still will.
  • Old Dos wrote:
    Thanks for your help. You both just reconfirmed what I already knew. This was a last resort to get it to work if some had a way.

Thanks.

Your welcome, I can't figure out why that intel would take out full isa emulation out of pci on ich6 chipset or newer, When amd's chipset still fully emulates it and that even the newest amd chipset still will.

Because Wintel that's why. Older tech becoming obsolete benefits the monopolies of Microsoft and Intel.

When you choose Wintel, you lose.
  • Claiming that MS doesn't do backwards compatibility is ridiculous.
  • BOD wrote:
    Claiming that MS doesn't do backwards compatibility is ridiculous.

You do realize MS probably makes a lot of money from OEM sales. The more computers that get too old, means more money to MS and OEMs.
  • So because that's the logical business tactic means it's what they do? -_-
  • Ah yes, I guess WIndows 7 doesn't run on 10-year old hardware OK, or that my copy of Word 97 doesn't work on Windows 10. Oh, wait.
  • Microsoft bends over backwards to provide backwards compatibility. Usually to keep business customers happy because they run shitty software that hasn't been updated in 20 years.

If they removed backwards compatibility from Windows, they could cut quite a bit of bloat out of the OS... which is pretty much what Windows RT did.