MacOS Sierra announced

edited June 2016 in Software
The new release of Apple's OS has been announced yesterday, by the name of macOS Sierra, or "OS X 10.12" if you like even though the OS X name is now dropped, and the new name being an homage to the original MacOS (and it to fit the naming scheme for iOS, tvOS, etc).

Many new features are to be included such as its support for Apple Pay and iCloud, the arrival of Siri which many people actually wanted to appear on their Macs for a long time and the introduction of a brand new file system replacing the ancient HFS+, where it will be called APFS (Apple File System) and contain some elements from ZFS. A bonus feature is the ability to unlock the Mac with the Apple Watch without the need of password input.

As someone who has become a Mac enthusiast since months ago, I have high hopes for it once its out this fall :) What about you?

Comments

• I haven't watched the keynote yet, but some of the features (eg. the new facial recognition for photos, picture-in-picture support and Siri) look really nice. I guess I'm lucky that I can install it at all on my Late 2009 MacBook.

I'm also curious about this new filesystem that Apple is developing. They claim it is more SSD-friendly (or something along those lines).

I don't think I'm gonna try out the betas though. I'll let others do that for me =)
  • Hate it. Dropped support for my 2009 Mac Mini.

Gotta stay on the good'ol El Capitan.
  • One of my friends is doing the same, and she's not too bothered if she can't upgrade to it anyway, as I forgot to mention that it requires newer Mac models. Then again, how long will El Capitan be supported for? As far as I know, each OS X release has a support lifecycle for two to three years.
  • Looks great but UUUH I SWAPPED MY MACBOOK 2008'S LOGIC BOARD TO A 2009 ONE TO BE ABLE TO RUN EL CAP AND NOW IT WON'T WORK.

But that's to be expected so I'm not too angry (and besides el cap is going to not only keep compatibility for a few years but I may also be able to force it in using MacPostFactor or something like that).
  • edited June 2016
    Hmm, I don't really need all the features (my PowerMac G5 running 10.4 has everything I need still) but I'll certainly give it a try at least once.

That is, of course, provided that my $7 MacBook Pro can run it.

Remind me because I forget, are the updates free? God knows it's been at least 4 years since I've had updates turned on.

EDIT: It's just a MacBook, model A1181. Probably should've mentioned that.
  • As far as I can remember, yes, the upgrades are free, even with the OS itself. And, your MacBook Pro could run it fine as long it is a 2010 model or newer.

Wait a minute... you still use Tiger? You should know that support for that ended a long time ago. Maybe it is time to upgrade... to like Mavericks or something when that's still being supported.
  • He said that it's running on his PowerMac G5. Upgrading to 10.5 isn't a bad idea though.
  • garirry wrote:
    Upgrading to 10.5 isn't a bad idea though.

It is if you need to run Classic OS.
  • Yeah but honestly? It's really not necessary unless you're curious into that sort of thing. In that case you would just get a cheap mac that can run OS 9 and run everything you want to. 10.4 is already so outdated it's not even funny, 10.5 is the closest you can get to a modern system on a PPC.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    As far as I can remember, yes, the upgrades are free, even with the OS itself. And, your MacBook Pro could run it fine as long it is a 2010 model or newer.

Wait a minute... you still use Tiger? You should know that support for that ended a long time ago. Maybe it is time to upgrade... to like Mavericks or something when that's still being supported.

The PowerMac G5 won't run above 10.5.8, and I would definitely upgrade, but it's missing it's optical drive and I don't have any Parallel ATA DVD-ROM drives to put in it, nor do I have the ISO to upgrade with.

As for the Classic OS stuff, I've got a PowerMac G4 running Mac OS 9.0.4 and an iMac G3 with Mac OS 8.5 for just those purposes. I've got a Centris 610 with Mac OS 8.1 and a PowerBook 180 with System 7.1 for when I need that. I believe my Macintosh LCII still works as well, and that's running System 6 if I recall correctly.

I know support ended for it a long long while ago, but so did support for MS-DOS 5.0 and that still does everything needed of it. Mac OS X 10.4.11 has iTunes supporting the first generation iPhone and iPod touch, the ability to play YouTube videos, and that's all I need it to do. If it's not broken, why fix it?
  • Will any MacBooks run Sierra? I didn't know that what I has was a plain MacBook (Model A1181) until the other day when I was getting it's battery replaced.
  • Only the unibody models can (late 2009 and 2010). Not even the aluminium MacBook.
  • garirry wrote:
    Only the unibody models can (late 2009 and 2010). Not even the aluminium MacBook.

Darn. Is this because of processor or something? If it's something I can fix, I'd love to give it a try before I put XP on it.
  • There's a thread on MacRumors that specifically talks about this. I have no idea what is the true reason for the block, but apparently some removed models work perfectly after proper patching. I couldn't get this to work, but it seems like some people did.
  • garirry wrote:
    There's a thread on MacRumors that specifically talks about this. I have no idea what is the true reason for the block, but apparently some removed models work perfectly after proper patching. I couldn't get this to work, but it seems like some people did.

Huh.

Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm not very experienced with Macs made after the iBook G4 (the last Apple computer I bought new).

This is the only computing board I actively participate in nowadays, even though I have accounts on a few others.