SpeedStep on desktops?

edited June 2016 in Hardware
Hello everybody, I've got an issue I've run into that is quite odd.

I have a Compaq Evo D310v computer that I installed a "new" processor in (original was 1.8GHz Pentium 4, now is 2.8GHz Pentium 4). However, when I started the computer up it recognized the CPU as a 1.6GHz processor. SpeedStep has done something horrible to my computer (brought my system CPU rating from 2.5 to 2.0) and I can't figure out how to disable it. CPU-Z reports it as a 2.8GHz CPU as well as Windows 7 system properties. However, both list it as running at "1599MHz" (approx. 1.6GHz). I looked through my BIOS settings, couldn't find a SpeedStep option, then updated my BIOS and still couldn't find a setting.

Is there any hope for this system or do I have to re-install the 1.8GHz CPU again?

System is Socket 478.

Comments

• Here, go into the BIOS and look for speedstep.
    And make sure that bios is updated as well.

And look for some speedstep drivers for 7 if there aren't any in already.

And verify if that thing is a prescott too. Those are the ones with speedstep AFAIK.
  • Here, go into the BIOS and look for speedstep.
    And make sure that bios is updated as well.

And look for some speedstep drivers for 7 if there aren't any in already.

And verify if that thing is a prescott too. Those are the ones with speedstep AFAIK.

The BIOS went from 2.14 (no setting) to 3.18 (latest, still no setting).

Where might I find such drivers?

I'll look at the CPU revision when I get home. What's AFAIK?
  • Don't waste your time. Either you have the older Northwood core or the Prescott core. Neither of which supported SpeedStep. Only the later Socket 775 Prescott cores supported that technology. As for your drop in speed, your board does not support the 533 or 800 front side bus that chip uses.

AFAIK - As Far As I Know
  • OP will have to get a newer motherboard that has Intel Socket LGA775 CPU socket, like the Intel D101GGC board that I have. I also have a previously used Intel Pentium 4 (641) 3.2Ghz CPU chip, a Cedar Mill series CPU that uses less power than the Prescott series of P4 CPUs.
  • epguy7 wrote:
    OP will have to get a newer motherboard that has Intel Socket LGA775 CPU socket, like the Intel D101GGC board that I have. I also have a previously used Intel Pentium 4 (641) 3.2Ghz CPU chip, a Cedar Mill series CPU that uses less power than the Prescott series of P4 CPUs.

The point of this system was to be the best Socket 478 build money could get, not LGA775. The processor (a 2.8GHz hyperthreaded CPU from a Dell Inspiron 5150) happened to be a mobile CPU (as expected). Was hoping for a way to bypass SpeedStep kicking the CPU down to 1.6GHz all the time, but to no avail.

I have a Socket LGA775 system, a Gateway 500GR with two hard drives, 2GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium, and a Radeon HD4550. It was my "gaming" computer for a while.