Mac OS X Virtual Memory

edited June 2016 in Software
I've got an old Apple iBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.5.8 on it that's got an issue with virtual memory.

The hard disk is 40GB in size, but 31.52GB are being assigned to virtual memory for some reason.

How do I change this? It's made the system very slow, to a nearly unusable point.

I'm not very good with Mac OS X anymore (I only used up to 10.4 when it was new on my PowerMac G5).

Comments

• So since you said you only used up to 10.4 I assume you didn't use this computer while it was on 10.5 for long. Mind giving me a few details about this computer and the OS? Regardless, I'd probably recommend reinstalling if it's old.
  • garirry wrote:
    So since you said you only used up to 10.4 I assume you didn't use this computer while it was on 10.5 for long. Mind giving me a few details about this computer and the OS? Regardless, I'd probably recommend reinstalling if it's old.

When I said "I only used up to 10.4" I meant when it was new. After 10.4 my workplace moved entirely to the Windows platform. This laptop was bought and used in 2009 to do some internet sharing to the remote corners of my home. Dug it up recently to just check out what's all on it, and because I've got myself a MacBook Pro coming in the mail and I thought I might just try and get used to the Mac OS X interface again.

I have used 10.6 and even 10.7 but not while they were new (I finally used a 10.7 computer only last year).

The iBook G4's specs:
    Apple G4 CPU, not sure what speed
    512MB RAM
    Whatever the built in graphics are
    Mac OS X 10.5.8
    40GB hard disk (~6GB free)

If you need any more information, let me know how to get it and I'll gladly get it to you A.S.A.P.!