MS-DOS 6.22 CD install?

edited July 2016 in Software
I have a old computer that has not booted in ages, it was a Windows XP Machine made for SP3 and it has a Core 2 Duo intel processor with 2 GB of ram. This is a really silly question, since I want to install MS-DOS, to a intel core 2 duo on 2 GB of ram and using a cd to. I want to try something different than the standard operating system GUI. Any and all help is appreciated!

Comments

• Basically, you can do that by creating a bootable 1.44mb floppy disk image, and then using a CD-burning program that supports it to create a bootable CD with that image (boot options are usually specified in a special settings or options menu). Note that to see the rest of the CD you must include DOS CD-ROM drivers. I've use Imageburn 2.4.4.0 to make such CDs. But someone might be able to recommend a better tool.

Or better yet, just attach a USB 1.44mb floppy drive. Everyone should have a floppy drive, or better yet a dozen! :P

Also, if you just want real-mode DOS, but don't care about the version, you can also try the unofficial CDU DOS "7.1" CD. https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/7x (Basically the DOS included with Windows 98).
  • Well, i do have a usb floppy tool, but only one disk which is right now, and i think you need 3 disks. I'll try to use the CD tips you gave me, and I will get back to this soon to see how it goes!

I could try putting it on a raspberry pi, but I'll save that for a later time
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Basically, you can do that by creating a bootable 1.44mb floppy disk image, and then using a CD-burning program that supports it to create a bootable CD with that image (boot options are usually specified in a special settings or options menu). Note that to see the rest of the CD you must include DOS CD-ROM drivers. I've use Imageburn 2.4.4.0 to make such CDs. But someone might be able to recommend a better tool.

Or better yet, just attach a USB 1.44mb floppy drive. Everyone should have a floppy drive, or better yet a dozen! :P

Also, if you just want real-mode DOS, but don't care about the version, you can also try the unofficial CDU DOS "7.1" CD. https://winworldpc.com/product/ms-dos/7x (Basically the DOS included with Windows 98).

Agreed, 7.1 CD would be much better for this purpose. It includes "native" CD and Mouse drivers, unlike 6.22.

Although it is your choice, MS-DOS would probably not be a very good use of that computer. My suggestion would be to install Windows 2000 or even (shudder) Millenium Edition to truly experience the computers of old. With specs like it has, Windows 7 would honestly be pretty good as well on such a machine (if you have enough disk space and could afford another 4GB of RAM). From there, you could probably just install VirtualBox or PCem and you'd be much better off to get the most out of your computer, as installing MS-DOS by itself would not have the drivers for your sound card or video card.
  • I don't recommend to install real MS-DOS on core 2 duo or higher.

The perfomance of 8088 emulation on modern CPU is slow than 80386 / 80486 / Pentium 1 based machine.

But if you really want to install DOS on real PC, I recommend unofficial CDU DOS "7.1" CD that SomeGuy said.
  • I recommend trying FreeDOS, as its still being supported and gets regular updates... you can get it from http://www.freedos.org
  • AiO_Inc. wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:
    Basically, you can do that by creating a bootable 1.44mb floppy disk image, and then using a CD-burning program that supports it to create a bootable CD with that image (boot options are usually specified in a special settings or options menu). Note that to see the rest of the CD you must include DOS CD-ROM drivers. I've use Imageburn 2.4.4.0 to make such CDs. But someone might be able to recommend a better tool.

Agreed, 7.1 CD would be much better for this purpose. It includes "native" CD and Mouse drivers, unlike 6.22.

Although it is your choice, MS-DOS would probably not be a very good use of that computer. My suggestion would be to install Windows 2000 or even (shudder) Millenium Edition to truly experience the computers of old. With specs like it has, Windows 7 would honestly be pretty good as well on such a machine (if you have enough disk space and could afford another 4GB of RAM). From there, you could probably just install VirtualBox or PCem and you'd be much better off to get the most out of your computer, as installing MS-DOS by itself would not have the drivers for your sound card or video card.

I actually tried 2000, but i cant get it to boot off of a cd or a usb. I was going to try mistake edition, but it would not be worth it. It could be my cd drive, but that could not be it. I have used 7 on it by using a HDD from a old laptop, and using my 7 disc. Here's a off topic question, is there a certain way to make boot cd's? I am never able to boot off of them, and I have to find other options. Thanks!
  • AiO_Inc. wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:

I actually tried 2000, but i cant get it to boot off of a cd or a usb. I was going to try mistake edition, but it would not be worth it. It could be my cd drive, but that could not be it. I have used 7 on it by using a HDD from a old laptop, and using my 7 disc. Here's a off topic question, is there a certain way to make boot cd's? I am never able to boot off of them, and I have to find other options. Thanks!

It's probably not going to boot from USB anyways. Try checking your BIOS settings under the "Boot" section. Make sure the optical drive is both enabled and before the hard disk in the listing.

Some computers also have a BBS Popup option or a Boot menu you can get into upon start up by pressing a key (usually F12). You could always try this too.
  • It's probably not going to boot from USB anyways. Try checking your BIOS settings under the "Boot" section. Make sure the optical drive is both enabled and before the hard disk in the listing.

Some computers also have a BBS Popup option or a Boot menu you can get into upon start up by pressing a key (usually F12). You could always try this too.

I have tried F12, but not the boot order. I will try to burn a Windows 2000 Advanced server, and try it since the computer might get new plans soon. Thanks for the information, and I will still check back if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks again!
  • It's probably not going to boot from USB anyways. Try checking your BIOS settings under the "Boot" section. Make sure the optical drive is both enabled and before the hard disk in the listing.

I have tried F12, but not the boot order. I will try to burn a Windows 2000 Advanced server, and try it since the computer might get new plans soon. Thanks for the information, and I will still check back if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks again!

Windows 2000 Advanced Server might not be a good choice either. Professional or Server would probably be best.

I suppose if you are going to go for the absolute top end, you could try Database Server as well.
  • AiO_Inc. wrote:
    It's probably not going to boot from USB anyways. Try checking your BIOS settings under the "Boot" section. Make sure the optical drive is both enabled and before the hard disk in the listing.

Thanks again!

Windows 2000 Advanced Server might not be a good choice either. Professional or Server would probably be best.

I suppose if you are going to go for the absolute top end, you could try Database Server as well.

Ok, so I did try booting it off of the cd again, i changed the boot order, went to the hdd . (I did check to see if it saved) I tried to boot from it directly, i got an error: "Could not boot from selected boot device" and some options using the F1, F2, and F5 keys. I tried to retry, but just got the same error. I know it probably isn't the cd-rom drive, since it can boot from a windows 7 disk. Gonna do some more searching, and I could be messing up somewhere along the line. Thanks for all of the help to everyone contributing to this topic! :P
  • AiO_Inc. wrote:

Thanks again!

Ok, so I did try booting it off of the cd again, i changed the boot order, went to the hdd . (I did check to see if it saved) I tried to boot from it directly, i got an error: "Could not boot from selected boot device" and some options using the F1, F2, and F5 keys. I tried to retry, but just got the same error. I know it probably isn't the cd-rom drive, since it can boot from a windows 7 disk. Gonna do some more searching, and I could be messing up somewhere along the line. Thanks for all of the help to everyone contributing to this topic! :P

At this point it might be your disc. If you can, try re-burning it.
  • Just FYI folks, there is no need to quote an entire post if it is the previous post. And even if it is not, one should prune a quote down to what is relevant to your reply.

Having to read past a dozen irrelevant nested quotes of the entire thread gets tiresome, and is quite silly.
  • To install MS-DOS 6.22 on a cdrom, symply copy all of the files (including the hidden files) to directory on a cdrom. If you have the supplemental disk, you can put that into the same directory too. You can install Windows 3.1x in the same way.

You need to make a boot diskette, and use that as the boot block for the cdrom. You don't need an actual floppy, an image that works in VPC is fine. You make up a cdrom with DOS, Windows, and any DOS-era proggies you want to play with, and boot from the cdrom.

You can set the cdrom letter to something high (like s: as in OS/2), and use xmsram for the ram drive on r:\ You then simply change to the MSDOS\622 directory and run setup, and to the WIN311 directory and run its setup.

You need to do something about the config.sys and autoexec.bat files, and copying the dos drivers to the hard drive too. The DOS setup won't do that. It's best to do this from the hard drive.

With Windows 2000, you need to set the 48BLBA in the SETUPREG hive in the install. This involves either creating the boot disks and editing the hive on that disk, or modifying the setup and creating the patch there. There is a discussion at http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/75713-4 ... up/?page=1 the necessary batch file, and how to rename the default folders, is at the bottom of the page.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Just FYI folks, there is no need to quote an entire post if it is the previous post. And even if it is not, one should prune a quote down to what is relevant to your reply.

Having to read past a dozen irrelevant nested quotes of the entire thread gets tiresome, and is quite silly.

My apologies, I'm still trying to get back into the routine since I've been gone for a while (I think my account was suspended or something and then I lost my password anyways).
    os2fan2 wrote:
    To install MS-DOS 6.22 on a cdrom, symply copy all of the files (including the hidden files) to directory on a cdrom. If you have the supplemental disk, you can put that into the same directory too. You can install Windows 3.1x in the same way.

You need to make a boot diskette, and use that as the boot block for the cdrom. You don't need an actual floppy, an image that works in VPC is fine. You make up a cdrom with DOS, Windows, and any DOS-era proggies you want to play with, and boot from the cdrom.

You also have to edit the startup information, if you just turn the boot block on without defining a startup application, it will just blink the cursor or give you an error.
  • I realized that i can't really load anything on a usb, and nothing at all boots.
    At this point it might be your disc. If you can, try re-burning it.
    I have re-burned it multiple times, in turn wasting many CD's. I might as well just buy Windows 2000 on amazon or something.
    Could the problem be the power supply? Its running on a 430W power supply, and i am unsure about if you need a certain amount to boot off of it. I guess i'll work toward putting new parts.
    Just FYI folks, there is no need to quote an entire post if it is the previous post. And even if it is not, one should prune a quote down to what is relevant to your reply.

Yeah, sorry about clogging the reply's with quotes. I'll try not to always clog it!
  • A couple of thoughts back on the topic:

First, when experimenting with burning CDs, use a rewritable CD-RW. That saves a lot of headache.

With Windows 2000, you should not need to do anything special. Just burn the 2000 ISO to a CD. All 2000 CDs should be bootable unless the images were incorrectly dumped.

However, I think 2000 requires an IDE CD drive or an SATA drive in IDE emulation mode. For any other kind of drive (USB) it will probably fail with an "inaccessible boot device" error.

As for creating boot CDs from a 1.44mb image, I noticed some later versions of ImgBurn are buggy and fail. If you are using ImgBurn, try 2.4.4.0 as that is known to work.

If your BIOS does not support booting from CD or USB devices, try the Ploop Boot Manger floppy disk. That is a very handy tool.
  • Could the problem be the power supply? Its running on a 430W power supply, and i am unsure about if you need a certain amount to boot off of it. I guess i'll work toward putting new parts.
    Unless the system is having trouble keeping itself powered on, it's not your power supply.

I've got a system running Windows 2000 with an 85W power supply, you should be perfectly fine.
    SomeGuy wrote:
    However, I think 2000 requires an IDE CD drive or an SATA drive in IDE emulation mode. For any other kind of drive (USB) it will probably fail with an "inaccessible boot device" error.
    This is true, unless you have a SATA driver loaded.
    SomeGuy wrote:
    If your BIOS does not support booting from CD or USB devices, try the Ploop Boot Manger floppy disk.
    Where can I get this, and does it work with Dell notebooks? I ask because I have an old Dell Latitude computer that needs a reinstall of Windows 2000, but it only boots from diskette, despite having an optical drive in place.

Somehow I doubt that a Core 2 Duo would have a diskette drive, but then again mine does, so I guess we'll wait and see.
  • You know, i dont think I checked what drivers it has loaded. I guess I will check. On the plus side, i was bored, so I decided to try Arch Linux on it, ands its pretty good, considering how much customization it is! I will check what drivers it has installed, since it could have IDE drivers.
  • Well, I could buy a IDE drive and use a IDE to SATA converter, and that could work. We will have to see.
  • Welp, I took the lazy route and just bought 2000 Professional. I will look into the burning problem, but for now, I'm going to try installing it. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

P.S. I will see the thread explaining how to upload operating systems.