Problems installing Windows 3.0 ME on Vmware Workstation 12

edited June 2016 in Software
Recently I've started a video series on my Youtube channel talking about the history of operating systems. In one of my videos I attempted to install Windows 3.0 with Multimedia Extensions. It all ran smoothly until I tried booting into it. It said "Cannot Install 386 enhanced mode Expanded Memory Driver" I tried playing around with the installation options, still nothing. I'm using MS-DOS 7.1 only because it already has the CD-ROM driver installed, do I need to use a different version of DOS? Or is it not possible to run on Vmware. I've seen videos of people running Windows 3.0 ME on Vmware and they appeared to be using an older version of DOS with either Oak Technologies or Adaptec CD-ROM drivers.

Comments

• As I recall, it doesn't get along with the DOS 7.x version of himem.sys or something. There might be a way to fudge it in to working, but it would be less troublesome just to use DOS 6.22.
  • Okay, I'll try using 6.22, I'll try creating a floppy image of the CD-ROM drivers I found and do it that way.