CD/DVD ROM Issues

edited September 2016 in Hardware
I recently restored a vintage Dell Latitiude CPi-A to working condition. It runs Windows 98 First Edition.
Originally, it had a 24x CD-ROM drive which was dead as It wouldn't read at all, so I took a CD/DVD ROM out of my friend's Pentium III laptop, which luckily had the same interface type. However, I am now having issues with it reading as well. It reads very aged and damaged DVDs just fine but very slowly reads most CDs; It will stop and make a clicking sound for a bit of time, sometimes successfully reading and others completely refusing to read at all, making me force eject the CD as it slows the whole system down. Oddly, these CDs spin up and read just fine in my other PCs. So my question; what's going on? It's not the system because I can play Steven King's The Shining at full speed (And that DVD is severely scratched up) but I can't copy a 2MB file on a completely crystal clean CD.
Laptop Specs:
Intel Pentium II Processor @ 366MhZ with MMX
256MB RAM
6.49GB HDD (With 0.67MB in bad sectors)
24x CD/DVD ROM
3.5 Inch 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV w/ 2.5MB of Video RAM and built in NeoMagic MagicMedia 256 Audio

Thank you in advance for any help!

Comments

• Did you check your friend's CD/DVD drive in his laptop to see if it could read CDs properly before you removed it?
    It is not uncommon for CD/DVD drives to fail on just the DVD or CD portion.
    I have a Sumsung DVD burner in my Windows XP system that worked flawlessly for many years.
    Now, it will only read/write to CD but will no longer read or write to DVD.
    Replacement CD/DVD drives are relatively cheap.
  • Well, I figured it out. One of the contacts was coated with some sticky substance. Apparently it could still get power and transmit information with most of one contact completely covered. Odd, that.