Low res monitors with Gigabyte GTX 1070

edited December 2016 in Hardware
Hello everyone. I recently built my second pc, and the GPU I have is a Gigabyte GTX 1070. The only problem is since I've spent so much money already, I don't want to spent more on a 1080p monitor. It would be nice, but my budget is kind of limited. I have two monitors that are out of my reach, and plan on having one of them shipped over to my dorm. Both are an HP, and a Dell. The HP is 1440 x 1280, and the Dell is 1280 x 1024. Both are far away from me since I'm attending college in Arizona. I'm fine with a lower res monitor, but I'm concerned that they won't work with the GPU. My question is, will either of them work? I plan on using a DVI connection for the monitors. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• As far as I'm concerned, it definitely should work. I'm not 100% sure about newer graphics cards, but the GTX should work at any resolution lower than its maximum resolution, whatever that may be. I can't see any reason as to why it shouldn't.
  • Thanks for your reply. As for gaming, would most games run fine on these resolutions as well?
  • Now, I might be the wrong person to ask for that. I still use a Pentium 4 with Windows XP, and an NVidia GeForce 6200 (Basically at least 3x less powerful than what you have). But, for me, anyways, these aren't small resolutions. These are huge. I use 1440x900 monitors, and these are the biggest I've ever owned. I would assume that newer games would run on that resolution. Hell, I've seen GTA V run in 720p.
  • Yes they will, definitely. I've ran a 1280x1024 monitor from an AMD 7850 (high-end card from 2012) and that's been totally OK. The Dell monitor is 5:4 - I'd buy one for now and wait until you can afford another. Where are you located by the way?

(If you're in the UK there's a shop called CeX that has 1280x1024 monitors for less than £1 each and 1080p monitors for £18 - otherwise I could potentially send you one that I have spare)
  • lardon wrote:
    Thanks for your reply. As for gaming, would most games run fine on these resolutions as well?

It should work, I can't think of any issues that might arise. I've done similar things myself, and I didn't run into any issues when gaming at resolutions as low as 800x600 or 1024x768, however I wouldn't recommend going that low. I have an ATi Radeon HD 3650 that I used for gaming at one time, and it was attached to a high-res HDMI monitor and an NEC Multisync 95 as a secondary display. However, when my HDMI monitor was in use, I was forced to use the NEC monitor which I believe was set to 1024x768@60Hz at the time. Other than some minor scaling issues that I fixed somehow (for example, the HUD in some games was being drawn out of frame), I actually found that being forced to run at a lower resolution actually gave me a bit of an FPS increase, but that's about it.

Long story short, unless your having major issues with the in-game HUD or the resolution being too small (ie 800x600), you shouldn't need to upgrade your monitor if you get a new GPU. (Unless, and this has happened to me before, the GPU driver *cough cough* AMD *cough cough* doesn't allow you to properly choose your resolution and refresh rate)

Hope this helps, and happy gaming!
    TheWalkingContradiction
  • 1607 wrote:
    Yes they will, definitely. I've ran a 1280x1024 monitor from an AMD 7850 (high-end card from 2012) and that's been totally OK. The Dell monitor is 5:4 - I'd buy one for now and wait until you can afford another. Where are you located by the way?

(If you're in the UK there's a shop called CeX that has 1280x1024 monitors for less than £1 each and 1080p monitors for £18 - otherwise I could potentially send you one that I have spare)

Sorry if I confused you, but I already have the monitors, both HP and Dell. I'm currently attending college in Arizona. The monitors I have are still in Seattle.
    lardon wrote:
    Thanks for your reply. As for gaming, would most games run fine on these resolutions as well?

It should work, I can't think of any issues that might arise. I've done similar things myself, and I didn't run into any issues when gaming at resolutions as low as 800x600 or 1024x768, however I wouldn't recommend going that low. I have an ATi Radeon HD 3650 that I used for gaming at one time, and it was attached to a high-res HDMI monitor and an NEC Multisync 95 as a secondary display. However, when my HDMI monitor was in use, I was forced to use the NEC monitor which I believe was set to 1024x768@60Hz at the time. Other than some minor scaling issues that I fixed somehow (for example, the HUD in some games was being drawn out of frame), I actually found that being forced to run at a lower resolution actually gave me a bit of an FPS increase, but that's about it.

Long story short, unless your having major issues with the in-game HUD or the resolution being too small (ie 800x600), you shouldn't need to upgrade your monitor if you get a new GPU. (Unless, and this has happened to me before, the GPU driver *cough cough* AMD *cough cough* doesn't allow you to properly choose your resolution and refresh rate)

Hope this helps, and happy gaming!
    TheWalkingContradiction

Just curious, was that NEC monitor a CRT one? I haven't heard anyone using NEC monitors in a LONG time. :lol:
  • lardon wrote:
    Just curious, was that NEC monitor a CRT one? I haven't heard anyone using NEC monitors in a LONG time. :lol:
    Yes, its currently the only "modern VGA" CRT monitor I have. My other CRT is an SVGA 800x600 display that goes with my IBM PS/1 486SX25 system.
  • (Unless, and this has happened to me before, the GPU driver *cough cough* AMD *cough cough* doesn't allow you to properly choose your resolution and refresh rate)

Ummm.. With my AMD graphics on my APU, I see an option for changing screen resolution and refresh rate in the catalyst control center. I don't know what you're smoking, but the options are there.
  • dosbox wrote:
    (Unless, and this has happened to me before, the GPU driver *cough cough* AMD *cough cough* doesn't allow you to properly choose your resolution and refresh rate)

Ummm.. With my AMD graphics on my APU, I see an option for changing screen resolution and refresh rate in the catalyst control center. I don't know what you're smoking, but the options are there.

Its actually been quite an issue, and I'm not talking about the CatCntl software, but rather the native display options in Windows. Also, in the new releases, the issue I was having before has started to happen again, and even the newest version of CatCntl is giving me issues.
  • So, I've lurked for a while.. now I registered.. there is a lot of veterans on here and even more younger or "newbies" on here.

Keep in mind that your high end GPU will do extremely low resolutions.. and as far as your monitors go, you'll just get absolutely insane frame rates on the games you play since they are rendering at very low resolutions.

That being said, YES, your GPU will function fine as long as you have the appropriate connectors to get an image in your display like a DVI to VGA adapter if needed for instance.

Also, your GPU will render as low as 640x480.. depending on the game, some games can go lower but those are much much older games.. Even Crysis 3 will do 640*480 res.

Your monitors are totally fine. I have my 980 Ti connected to a 1440*900 monitor before I finally saved the cash for an ASUS PG279Q IPS panel that runs 2560*1440 @ 144hz refresh.. that stung the wallet a bit for a display @ $800.. but considering what I've dumped into the rest of my system is actually not that bad.. lol