Will Harvey Music Construction Set

edited September 2016 in Software
Hello:

I have been lucky to acquire this disk in a lot. I have archived many disks via Kryoflux and due to the unique format of the disk I am unable to create a working .PSI image for PCE emulation. I expect there additional parameters to allow for successful image creation (like I read about Total Project Manager 1.0 on this forum). Please advise if anyone has successfully achieved this, and if so, please consider dropping a few hints. Many thanks.

Comments

• @elgibbons

Hi, nice to meet you in here.

At first you must download new version of PCE with pfi.exe pri.exe psi.exe

http://www.hampa.ch/pub/pce/pre/pce-201 ... -win32.zip

This is example

# Decode at 600 KBit/s (for MFM)

pfi track00.0.raw -p double-step -r 500000 -c 0-39 -p decode pri disk1-mfm.pri

(-r 500000 or -r 600000, double-step is needed if anyone dumped it fully from 0 to 81)

# Decode at 300 KBit/s (for FM)

pfi track00.0.raw -p double-step -r 300000 -c 40-41 -p decode pri disk1-fm.pri

(-r 250000 or -r 300000, double-step is needed if anyone dumped it fully from 0 to 81)

# Merge the two images

pri disk1-mfm.pri -m disk1-fm.pri disk1.pri

Then you must convert pri to .psi by pri.exe (Not pfi.exe)

pri disk1.pri -p decode auto disk1.psi

Not all the conversation are perfectly.

I can show the method detailly when you upload dumped image.
  • The version that Winworld has doesn't seem to need anything special to make a .psi file that works - but that is a later Music Construction Set revision.

If the steps listed above don't work, please post your image so we can take a look at it.
  • MCS exists as pcbooter and DOS version.

But the copy protected track is same each other.
  • Yes, thank you for information. I have PC booter version. I used almost similar syntax and image appears to work. Of course setting PCE to boot floppy. I can upload image if desired.
  • I also have pcbooter package of it.

I know there're just 2 kinds of pcbooter's revision.

If you upload it, I'll appreciate your kindness.
  • I received your image.

Yes, your dumped image seems to be 2nd released PC booter version. (Made in 1987 according to hidden sector on track 40.)
    (This must be from 1985 ~ 1988)

Your disk is 2nd release of booter.

I compared it with yours.

Also you can convert .PSI image as follows.

PSI DISK1.PSI -e position -1 -p comment-set "" DISK1.PSI

(-e position -1) <-- This means that sector/track position is deleted by "-1" option.
    (-p comment-set "") <-- This means that comment on PSI image is deleted.

SHA1:75bb00835c41b0710c20231c1dd5f13769d225bf / DISK1.PSI
  • I see you upped the PSI of MCS. Would you please also upload the Kryoflux dumps. The PSI images are not any good for writing real disks images (complex copy protections like these will not convert back to a flux format).
  • OK, Kryoflux dumps are uploaded. I included all tracks, however I notice that only Side 0 tracks 0-40 are needed.
  • I converted your KF image as follows.

pfi track00.0.raw -r 500000 -c 0-39 -h 0 -p decode pri disk1mfm.pri

pri track00.0.raw -r 250000 -c 40 -p decode pri disk1fm.pri

pri disk1mfm.pri -m disk1fm.pri disk1.pri

pri disk1.pri -p decode auto disk1.psi

psi disk1.psi -e position -1 -p comment-set "" disk1.psi

You can convert KF image --> TC image too.

pri disk1.pri disk1.tc