3GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ overclock

edited October 2016 in Hardware
Back in august, I was doing something on my computer and suddenly came up with the idea to try and overclock the CPU. I went into the bios settings and after a little tinkering, testing, and more ; I managed to get the AMD athlon 64 x2 4800+ to 3006mhz. If I remember correctly, I increased the FSB speed to 240mhz without touching the multiplier. The bios was giving me the reading of 3006mhz that I mentioned, but due to the multiplier staying the same Windows 7 Home Premium showed 2.5ghz (originally, it was showing 2.49ghz). I fired up OpenHardwareMonitor and ran HeavyLoad to test stability. OpenHardwareMonitor registered just under 3ghz (2985mhz, I think). Sadly, the already failing MSI K9N neo V2 motherboard failed, so I can't supply any screenshots. While the motherboard was still alive, I could feel significant performance improvements (even though it was still no match for the Celeron g1820 CPU I got afterwards). I am posting this for educational purposes only. I am not responsible if the method I used blows up you CPU and/or motherboard.
I hope this was helpful and informative.
Best regards,
pcgeek