DYNDNS how do i do it?

BODBOD
edited June 2004 in Software
I'm having problems with my ftp server.
i got bullet proof like someone said and carcked it.
only problem is cos im on ADSL my ip keeps changin every so often. so i decided to sign up for DYNDNS cos i read a review about it in a computer magazine.
which client do i use to monitor my ip?

thanks BOD

Comments

• Start a dyndns.org account. Then make a DNS domain(dynamic if your IP changes, static if your IP doesnt), enter in your IP address and your set.

When running a dynamic connection, your IP Address will change every day or so, so you need to run a client from dyndns.org to keep updating your DNS to your current IP Address.
  • which client would you recomend ibm?
  • I use dyndns because my router has built in support for it.
  • anyone else have any recemendations?
  • Hell, this whole forum is on my server using dyndns!
  • i have no router at the moment. i just need a temporary client untill i get a job....
  • use no-ip.org,, they're clien it better.

dyndns.org's client never worked for me
  • Hmm.... should be interesting. I've never used a client, since my IP rarely changes.
  • mine niehter, I have 4 IP Addresses in like 3 years
  • LOL. When my router went down I went through a few, with it being connected to different PC's.

If my router stays on, I should keep the IP. Only thing will be if I shut it down in August when I go away.
  • When you leave in August? Im leaving too
  • Oh. Aug 6th or 7th through Aug 21st or so. I was going to post it when it got closer so everyone didn't think I got arrested or something. When will you be gone?
  • mine changes everytime i log on which is annoying....
  • Dont you have DSL?

Or that PPoE type of DSL?
  • That really sucks.
  • PPPoE is OK if you have a router that supports PPPoE dialing
  • DSL doesnt dial.

Use No-IP if you dont have a router.
  • I think he means the PPPoE connection process.
  • Yeah, DSL authoration or whatevr, I never used PPPoE
  • i'm not sure i just enter my e-mail and password into a dial up connection and connects in like 2 secs
  • Oh dialup, that blows
  • Yea. That's what we mean. They limit you by making you do that. A router could do that for you, but you don't have one now.
  • Its just manual PPPoE. I had to do it while my router was being gay. Its still not dialing in any way. Its just your modem communicating with your ISP. ANyway,.... just use no-ip...
  • he said he has dialup, not PPPoE
  • only problem is cos im on ADSL my ip keeps changin every so often. so i decided to sign up for DYNDNS cos i read a review about it in a computer magazine.

The Windows PPPoE connection thing looks ALOT like a dial up connection.
  • Ohh..... Just get a router with PPPoE
  • Yea, but he doesn't want to or can't. So he needs another solution.
  • Oh, Pc router
  • Most routers handle PPPoE. I would get a Linksys or a TRENDnet Router. They're most common for PPPoE connections and come with the little niffty DYNDNS crap.