Lotus Notes Release 5

edited November 2016 in Software
Hello and good day Everyone ,

I've found a copy of sealed software [Lotus Notes Release 5 "Software Only"] and I haven't found a clear reference to it from a basic glance through Google, but frrom the things I remember reading it was probably released around a time which the software's use was kind of fading out a bit
[I assumed this after reading a few articles from Info World magazine from '99]

Assumptions aside, I was just wondering if any gurus or anyone otherwise remembers buying this, or remembers it at all.

Here's Pics for some reason: [album: http://imgur.com/a/gNrQb ]

Cheers and thanks for looking.

Comments

• I think most people would prefer to forget Lotus Notes :P

There aren't any versions of that here on Winworld yet. Keep in mind it is a client/server program, so both pieces are needed.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    I think most people would prefer to forget Lotus Notes :P

Haha thanks for letting me know. I opened it [it cost $2.00 local] and 90% of the weight was a manual on how to use the software. Nice. Complete with a footprint-man as a guide..

I will keep an eye out for the server copy.. though I am getting the feeling I'm lucky this copy didn't make it to the trash. It was thrashed a quite a bit.

Have a good one!
  • Note that we like documentation here. For $2 cut the spine off and run it through a document scanner.
  • FWIW, the server is called Domino. I have a copy of 8.x (too new) here somewhere.
  • Alright, I'll find a way to cut off the spine sometime tomorrow. I don't really know what I'd start with; I remember the print coming really close to the [cheap\rubbery] spine, so anything I have available might not cut it clean enough.

Cheers though, I'll try !
  • Hey SomeGuy, I dug quite a few flatbed scanners out [the one printer with a scanner around here is constantly in use because the main one failed recently] and after fixing the third scanner.. (with a whopping 350 DPI max!) I would really rather be given suggestions of formatting than just going for it. Specifically, I was wondering about color depths, and which ones I should choose for documents with only text. Should such pages be in greyscale or 'lineart'? I ask because after scnning three pages I have an entire gigabyte of archives, but, even for really unexciting things like this, archival to me means absolutely archival quality, etc.. I'd like to know the specific preferences of formatting for this. Thanks!

Cheers.
  • For manuals in 3-ring binders, spiral bound, or bound with the spine removed, I use an Epson DS-510 document scanner. This will scan in a large manual very quickly. Flatbed scanners with a document feeder attachment should also work. Pain flatbed scanners are a pain to use, as you must flip each page manually, but for bound manuals that you don't want to destroy that is the only option.

Your scanner software should be able to save as compressed TIF or PNG. Otherwise files will get huge.

After scanning, I find it useful to use the ImageMagic/Mogrify program to reduce file sizes a bit further.

Part of the trick is to adjust the highlight/midtone/shadow so the white backbackground is 100% white the center of the text is mostly black, and color remains. This preserves the grey edges around letters.

It is the content that we are preserving, not every grain in the paper.

Some additional space can be saved by reducing the "color space". You don't need pure 24-bit color in your file. Usually 64k or 32k color will suffice unless a page contains very, very vivid color illustrations (usually only front covers do that).

If the manual is in color, it should be kept in color.

If the manual contents have no color at all, then the pages can be reduced to 256 color gray scale to save space.

I usually scan at 600dpi, even if the scanners effective resolution is a little lower than that. After processing a directory full of PNGs for an entire manual usually only takes a gigabyte or two and can easily be written to a DVD-r.

Mogrify can also be used to deskew the contents of pages.

If you want to upload unprocessed PNG images, that is fine. I can complete the conversion to PDF easily enough.

Although if you are wondering, I normally use an older copy of Omnipage - this generates PDF files that can be read in older PDF readers, which helps ensure future compatiblity. (Many programs put crap in PDFs that requires the absolute positively latest security hazard Adobe Acrobat Reader and fail in third party viewers - I hate that)
    Omnipage also OCRs everything so it can be searched and indexed.

I can post more details later if you need.
  • Hey, I'd like to say a genuine thanks for the time and knowledge.

I followed your guidelines with tuning the contrast/midtones until everything looked perfect with small [TIFF] monochrome files, and the scannner I was using slowly went mental. I'll spare the details about that but I thought I'd leave a reply until I get a dedicated scanner so it is known I haven't abandoned this. Actually.. I am waiting on a scanner I ordered; it should be here within the week.
  • I'd like to add a note to this - I am crunched on time but I thought I'd share this purchase [$24 AU!] as well as the fact that I finally repaired it and I'm scanning [but mostly typing] with it! And actually, it works rather well; it has less artifacts than the only other scanners I've got access to [though they're really heavily used all-in-ones so that might explain something]. I've got it running on a W95 install on an old 486 430i generic box. It only works through the PaperPort software it came with, and running on a Pentium Pro @ 121.5 Mhz which already has the job of logging live sensor data from more than one interface card, it's not exactly the fastest job. Further, PaperPort's initial rendering and even it's previewer are about 85% less efficient than similar [Canon MultiPass] 'wares from two years prior. Sorry for the extensive text! Just wanted to give an update, and wanted to share this glorious and still-decent piece. Also, working alongside my extensively monotonous jobs at about 4 pages a day, I'm currently on page 29.

Cheers! - And here's a ridiculously oversized image because resizing is too difficult a concept for me to thoroughly interpret at the moment:

PXsKxN7.jpg