Wireless keyboard/mouse question

edited December 2016 in Hardware
I don't know if some of you use either a wireless keyboard or mouse, or both, but I often wonder if they are any good when it comes to reliability including down to battery life which, I am very unsure of. For mice, I believe the average battery life for them is around 18 months but according to a Google result, it can be as low as six months but I think it all depends on the mouse itself and I would believe its battery can be replaced, unless otherwise. The same for wireless keyboards too, or maybe not. Would be rubbish to have to get a new wireless mouse if one day it suddenly dies on you.

I ask about this because, I may consider getting a wireless mouse for myself in the future and that I previously used one in my work experience (where it was Apple's Magic Mouse 2, which was fiddly to use at first but adapted to it afterwards). Either I can get one or just stick to the traditional wired mouse which I am more used to, but I would still like everyone's say on this.

Comments

• In my experience, wireless mice and keyboard are fine for anything but gaming. The last thing I want is the mouse dying in the middle of an FPS game. Because of that, I went back to a wired mouse.
  • It depends. Which do you prefer? Are you at a desk more than on the road?
  • I'm at a desk, a big one actually with a sliding keyboard tray if you wanted more detail.
  • Personally I feel 18 months before battery replacement is a bit optimistic, but then again I have had a lot of bad luck with batteries recently.

I don't know how these sorts of devices do these days but you might want to consider possible interference sources from other devices, passing vehicles, mobile devices and so on.

Also, don't know if these kinds of devices take security in to consideration these days, but security might be something to consider.
  • Security is always a concern, especially if they use a proprietary protocol without encryption, which a few do.

As for battery life... I've never kept track of it for my wireless stuff... I mean, I bought my wireless mouse and keyboard one or two years ago and so far I've changed the battery in the mouse once.

Can you replace the battery? Yes... typically most use AA or AAA batteries. Some are rechargeable, depends on what you get.

They do ok at a close distance for normal computer use (web browsing, etc.), but absolutely suck for gaming. Way too laggy.

Personally, I prefer to stick to wired mice and keyboards... especially at a desk when it's permanently set up. For media center PCs and laptops? Wireless is a godsend.
  • I have a cheap logitech wireless mouse and I have no issues with games.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Also, don't know if these kinds of devices take security in to consideration these days, but security might be something to consider.
    I didn't know security would have anything to do with them... could you maybe elaborate on that? I'm interested.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:
    I didn't know security would have anything to do with them... could you maybe elaborate on that? I'm interested.

Security is involved with anything... but especially when you're transmitting data wirelessly. An attacker could be nearby (much less likely in a home environment) and sniff the wireless signal between the keyboard and the dongle and then either decode the data and get passwords and other keystrokes in plain text or simply use it in a replay attack where by the attacker re-transmits the signal causing the computer to re-type what was previously typed... which hopefully includes a password.
  • So if security may be an issue, what about any interference with other devices? I have a router that supports wireless connectivity and I'm not sure if it would disrupt that of others that use the same kind of signal. Would it? :|
  • Bry89 wrote:
    So if security may be an issue, what about any interference with other devices? I have a router that supports wireless connectivity and I'm not sure if it would disrupt that of others that use the same kind of signal. Would it? :|

Most wireless routers operate on 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. Wireless mice and keyboards typically also run in the 2.4 Ghz band along with Microwaves and bluetooth devices. It's a pretty crowded band.

But they will typically run at different channels, so the interference should be reduced.