Making old applications work correctly

edited December 2016 in Software
I've still got a few old computers I'd like to use, but they don't or can't meet minimum requirements to run a more modern OS, leaving me with little choice on applications.

Say I wanted to run Skype on a computer, I know there's a way to make an old version of Skype run correctly on a PPC mac, but I can't remember how exactly to do this.

Any ideas? It's a PowerBook G4 in this case, and it's basically maxed out specs-wise, so I could probably use a VM or something to run Windows. Would this be wise? How would I do this?

Comments

• The thing is that Skype was released for PowerPC, which means while you could always download it, Microsoft shut down their service for these versions of the software. I've heard something about modifying the program to be able to connect anyway, but I'm really not sure if it would work anymore.
  • PCAT wrote:
    I've still got a few old computers I'd like to use, but they don't or can't meet minimum requirements to run a more modern OS, leaving me with little choice on applications.

Say I wanted to run Skype on a computer, I know there's a way to make an old version of Skype run correctly on a PPC mac, but I can't remember how exactly to do this.

Any ideas? It's a PowerBook G4 in this case, and it's basically maxed out specs-wise, so I could probably use a VM or something to run Windows. Would this be wise? How would I do this?

???

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... werBook+G4
  • PCAT wrote:

If you run linux, supposedly QEMU can be configured to run programs compiled for a different architecture.