Where can I get a compiled copy of Linux kernel?

edited January 2017 in Software
This download https://winworldpc.com/product/linux-kernel only gets me the source code. I don't know how to, nor do I want to, compile it. I just want to download a compiled Linux kernel. I'm thinking the compiled file might be named kernel.bin when compiled.I can't find that anywhere on the net. Is there some license agreement between the Linux distributors and the inventors of Linux, that the compiled kernel is NEVER to be distributed by itself, or risk getting sued?

Comments

• If you went back to the 90s and said that you would get laughed at. You want binaries served up on a silver (disk) platter? Linux was the wrong place for that. :D

Add a device driver to your system? Merge some diffs and recompile your kernel. Change some options for your hardware? Fiddle with some source files and recompile your kernel. Want a driver for a brand new piece of hardware? Write it yourself and compile it in to your kernel. 8)

Anyway, I don't recall for sure and could be wrong, but I seem to vaguely recall reading somewhere that this earliest release had some bootstrapping dependencies on Minix, meaning one could not technically just distribute a fully running binary system. There is also the issued that this primordial version won't actually do much of anything, is insanely limited, probably would not run on anything other than a very specifically configured 386, and doesn't even include any applications to run.

But putting together a period correct binary environment for an emulator might make an interesting project for someone.
  • I don't think you realise just how stupid this sounds.

Take Ubuntu, they ship a compiled binary kernel in their distributions. Have they been sued? Nope (not about that, anyway). So do some very trivial thinking before you spew words from your keyboard. I would suggest reading over the GPL and understanding the license that it is provided under and how binary distributions, even if sold for financial gain, are totally permissible under the license. You just need to also provide the corresponding source code. I am not going to suggest that however since the GPL is *not* written at a 4th grade reading level you so desperately need.

A Linux kernel can have any filename really. There is no set standard, although most distributions (and the default compile option) is usually vmlinuz.

You seem like a typical beta child who wants everyone else to do the hard work for you. I don't like that, and if those are your true colors, you won't last long here.

I'm in one of those moods today where every locked topic makes me feel just a bit better inside soooooo......

folder_lock.gif
This discussion has been closed.