Would the real IBM PC DOS 6.1 please stand up?

edited January 2017 in Software
So there's apparently two VERY different releases of DOS 6.1 from IBM. One is a 4-disk version which on boot calls itself "IBM DOS 6.1", and the other is a 5-disk version callig itself "PC DOS 6.1".

Some time ago, I downloaded a UK upgrade edition of "PC" DOS 6.1, and more recently I've downloaded US upgrade and full versions of "IBM" DOS 6.1. One of the "IBM" DOS 6.1 sets came from here.

What, oddly, I haven't found is a US non-upgrade edition of "PC" DOS 6.1, which I can conjecture exists by the existence of a non-US upgrade edition.

Comments

• I know It was so called as PC-DOS from 6.1 instead of IBM DOS.

4-disk version is mainly 3.5" media, 5-disk version is mainly 5.25" media.
    In this case, File date/year/time stamp is 06-29-1993, 12:00PM

But any DOS 6.1 disk has 5-disks with 3.5" media just like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBMs-PC-DOS-6-1 ... SwmLlYBnB1
    In this case, File date/year/time stamp must be 11-16-1993, 12:00PM

You can see the message on boot via PC-DOS 6.1 (US full version, not OEM or upgrade)

Starting IBM DOS....

HT2gie5.png

6cK4tIZ.png

Each diskette label says "PC-DOS 6.1"
  • That's the one I find most often in 4 disks, but I also find this...

il5LdfH.png

Most files are stamped 11/19/93, where the "IBM DOS 6.1" ones are 6/29/93.
  • No idea really what happened there, but the PC-DOS 6.1 disks here on Winworld (dated 6/29/1993) are from my own disks. Notice that the disk labels say "PC-DOS 6.1", even though the command.com says "IBM DOS".

But it wouldn't surprise me if other localizations tweaked the branding, or if they stuck in a bug fix without bumping the revision.

Also, didn't IBM sell 6.1 retail? (I forget). The one I have would have been bundled with an IBM computer. Perhaps there was a difference.
  • @buricco

I think it seems to be changed after 11/19/93 (PC DOS 6.1 with Disk Compression)

I also have original package of PC-DOS 6.1 (06/29/1993).
    This is Base Edition. (Full)
    Yes, it is just like SomeGuy said.

I think IBM sold upgrade version only as retail package.

For example : PC DOS 6.1

Full : Bundled with an IBM brand PC
    Upgrade : Retail
    OEM : Bundled with non IBM brand PC.
  • The IBMDOS 6.1 comes with the variant setup, and a manual that describes itself as IBM DOS 6.0. I have a boxed set of this. The one on hand is 1993.06.29. It came with a coupon book, which allows you to upgrade to the disk compression, when released. It's on four diskettes.

There's a PC-DOS 6.1, that is packaged very much like 6.3 has a date 1993.11.16.