Extract 1.72MB Diskettes from images / Windows 95B Installer

edited April 2017 in Software
Hello, I'm new on this forum and have searched high and low for a verifiable answer to this. I apologize if I missed a past post, but nothing came up in my search.

Aye... here goes;

I'm trying to extract a downloaded copy of Windows 95B (the 30+ floppy version) onto floppy diskettes. Problem is, these are specially formatted 1.72MB diskettes and no disk maker I know of will format/extract these types of images.

I'm hoping someone out there has done this and can guide me to the right utility or steps to save me a ton of trial-and-error. I'm looking to install this onto an HP Omnibook 800CT to demonstrate to my YouTube viewers what life was like before CD-ROM drives.

Much appreciated,

BBISHOPPCM

Comments

• Use WinImage.

If you have a real floppy controller, it can write those formats. However, DMF (1.7MB) disks will NOT work in USB floppy drives.

It is also possible to convert them to ImageDisk format, but I don't have the exact command parameters off hand.
  • Must say, it's pretty cool to stumble across one of the youtubers you watch on a forum. ;p
  • Use Diskwrite, it works great even in Windows 10!!!
  • edited April 2017
    I think there is no meaning to extract floppy image to files.
    Because you can't install Windows 95 floppy version from Hard Drive with extracted files of floppy image.

lYIWrlf.png

But it is possible to install Windows 95 CD-ROM from Hard Drive.

The best way is to copy Disk content to real Floppy Drive from Floppy image.
  • Weird, I thought you could extract the diskettes to directories like DISK01, DISK02, and so on like Office 4 but never actually tested it. If that really doesn't work, WinImage and a real floppy controller are your best friends.

I thought DMF was 1.68Mb instead of 1.72Mb?
  • DMF size is exactly 1.68MB (1,720,320 Bytes.)

*1720320 / 1024 = 1.68

A few of user think DMF size is 1.72MB , but 1.68MB is correct exactly.
  • I've seen it written both ways and wasn't sure which was correct. At least now I know I've been saying it right. Thanks ibm.
  • Thanks for the tips, guys! I only have USB floppy drives at this point, I guess it would just make more sense to do it with CD-ROM drives instead of burning up 40 floppy disks!
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    I think there is no meaning to extract floppy image to files.
    Because you can't install Windows 95 floppy version from Hard Drive with extracted files of floppy image.
    Why are you so sure about this? :?:
    About both Windows 95A and 95B floppy versions I can say that they can be flawlessly installed from the second (D:) hard drive. As second HDD can be used USB-stick or memory card in card reader. The only thing on what you need to pay attention is to the size (in MB) of the partition from which the system installation will be made - it is necessary that from DOS all installation files, extracted from diskettes, are fully accessible.

Diskette extraction in one go with Easy 7-Zip.
    7A3ulRz.gif

Setup started from second HDD (D:). For this screenshot I use MobaLiveCD_v2.1.exe – sorry about that.
    wPAVRsN.gif

Running Win-95B in a Safe Mode from a micro SDHC card. Floppy drive (A:), with mounted floppy F6-1440.img file, is a virtual drive and non-accessible from Win-95. PC (P4P800SE) has no physical floppy drives (disconnected and both disabled in BIOS – not needed at all).
    zKwdldA.gif

Actually as hard drives I used USB-stick and memory card (read/write speeds better than 15MB/s).
    wcOKaO0.gif
  • @Elmis

You seem to mount Floppy Disk Image on emulator.
    I think you seem not to understand my answer.
    I mentioned "extracted files of floppy image" not "mount floppy image"

Of course it should work from Floppy Driver A: