Today we honor the death of Windows Vista.

edited April 2017 in Software
Today is the official end of extended support for Windows Vista, Microsoft's first more "modern" operating system.
Although times were tough and ratings weren't always the best, you were the beginning of a generation.
Goodbye, Windows Vista.
You will be missed.

Comments

• Nice first post.

I never used Vista. Hopefully it becomes Abandon Wear soon, so I can try it on an old Laptop I have.
  • Hasta La Vista Baby... :mrgreen:

ok, this is an old post.. and very new reply...
    But i heared some badness about Vista..
    is it all just noise ? :?:
  • To be honest, Windows Vista, on decent hardware, was an excellent operating system. Yes, it was not as good as Windows 7 or 8 (Yes, I really like Windows 8 since it is a more touchscreen friendly version of Windows 7).

By the way, the Vista RTM and RC2 are quite similar, only difference is you can get the RC2 in the Library today!
  • Rest in peace, old man. Even though you were hated since the beginning but in the end, you were merely misunderstood, and you had potential.

Salutations.
  • Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttt!! :P
  • To be honest, Windows Vista, on decent hardware, was an excellent operating system. Yes, it was not as good as Windows 7 or 8 (Yes, I really like Windows 8 since it is a more touchscreen friendly version of Windows 7).

By the way, the Vista RTM and RC2 are quite similar, only difference is you can get the RC2 in the Library today!

Where would you put it with respect to XP? Would you rather use XP or Vista?
  • Nice first post.

I never used Vista. Hopefully it becomes Abandon Wear soon, so I can try it on an old Laptop I have.

Actually, this isn't a first post. I've been here before, but this is just a different account. Both of my other accounts are gone.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttt!! :P
    JEEZ THATS RUDE!!11!!!111!!!!!!111
  • Calixtus wrote:
    JEEZ THATS RUDE!!11!!!111!!!!!!111
    Thank you! :P
  • edited April 2017
    Ocampa wrote:
    To be honest, Windows Vista, on decent hardware, was an excellent operating system. Yes, it was not as good as Windows 7 or 8 (Yes, I really like Windows 8 since it is a more touchscreen friendly version of Windows 7).

Where would you put it with respect to XP? Would you rather use XP or Vista?

Good question, Windows XP is an excellent operating system, but so is Vista. XP was able to run on older machines while Vista needed a newer machine to run. XP was bright and colourful while Vista had the incredible Aero theme (which no one was able to run). You can still use Vista today as there really isn't any major security issues as of yet, Windows XP is now pretty much unsupported EVERYWHERE so it is more of an experimental OS. So, I would use Vista.
  • Windows XP is now developing security holes
    Security holes, especially in a non updated code base, do not just "develop".

Most of them WERE THERE WHEN THE OS WAS NEW AND IN USE!

I can't emphasize this enough.

What you are using right now has holes in it. Feel free to come back in a year, point to an article that says "No exploits found in Microsoft Windows this year!", and prove me wrong.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Windows XP is now developing security holes

What you are using right now has holes in it. Feel free to come back in a year, point to an article that says "No exploits found in Microsoft Windows this year!", and prove me wrong.

You're not wrong, but generally what people mean when they say stuff like this is that the holes are found and are now known to be actively exploited.

Also, technically holes could develop... with updates that is. New patches could introduce security holes that weren't there previously.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Windows XP is now developing security holes

I see your point actually, security holes are ALWAYS there, even in Windows 10, only on an unsupported OS, those security holes will go unpatched and can be exploited more frequently and easily. I think what I said was incorrect because how can security holes develop unless the OS is getting updates and patches?
  • It was long time.
    I hoped Microsoft ended Windows Vista support quickly as if possible.

I bypassed installation Windows Vista with SP2.

Anyway, my mind is at peace.