Can I Use It? - Microsoft WIndows Vista

edited April 2017 in Software
Can I Use It?

Windows Version: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate - RC2.
Latest Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Build 16170 - RS3.

Windows Vista is no longer supported by Microsoft, so what better way to send it off than see if it can still be used over 10 years past the release date!

Installation:

Windows Vista installation is very simple, you start with the usual pick a language then you go on to specify your setup settings.

iYIHuGr.png

You then type in your product key, choose where you want to install Windows and leave it!

1W2MYzk.png

After that you have to specify your user settings which is just pick a user name and password, computer name, backdrop and network.

l6mQEs4.png

Then say hello to the Windows desktop!

bH21kGM.png

OS Installed (Pass)
Simple Installer (Pass)
No Issues (Pass)

Overall Pass!

Web Browsing

I tried to use Internet Explorer 7, but it is now so dated it struggles to load the web pages correctly. Also, guess the name of the person hiding behind the red block! :P

jLe3Y9U.png

It couldn't even install Firefox without me resorting to using the Shared folder and getting the installer off the host PC.

LQjG4Qd.png

However, I finally managed to install Firefox! Yay!

jLe3Y9U.png

Connecting to the Internet (Pass)
Using Internet Explorer (Fail)
Using a Third-Party Web-Browser (Pass)

Pass!

Internet Mail

Google Mail loads up on Firefox with no issues whatsoever.

8jrumrH.png

With some changes to POP3 and IMAP settings in Google Mail, I was able to get it to work on Windows Mail aswell.

5dllmlf.png

Send/Receive (Pass)
Google Mail (Pass)
Windows Mail (Pass)

Overall Pass!

Media Streaming

Windows Media Guide was closed in June, making Radio Streaming not an option at this point.

LpT5v6B.png

YouTube works with no problem, only with slight stuttering, what we would expect from a virtual machine.

Xm4vSED.png

Spotify as an application does not install and the web player doesn't work even with Adobe Flash installed.

NLPvxxI.png

Radio Streaming (Fail)
Video Streaming (Pass)
Music Streaming (Fail)

Fail!

Office Work

The Google office suite works with no problems, you just need an internet connection for that.

RY8hxxZ.png

OpenOffice also works well, with no problems.

yf3SNL9.png

Google Office Suite (Pass)
OpenOffice (Pass)

Overall Pass!

Windows Vista can still be used, even today, it may find some internet tasks difficult and cannot install modern software as most software developers have discontinued Windows Vista versions. I don't recommend using it for security reasons as it will no longer receive updates. But if you absolutely have to, you can get a couple of more years worth of mileage out of that Vista PC before you have to upgrade.

Comments

• I guess ,so.
  • Can you use it? Yes.
    Would any sane person want to? No.
  • You can use it, buuuuuuuut it will most features will not work.
  • Louis7864 wrote:
    You can use it, buuuuuuuut it will most features will not work.

I know, the basic programs such as Paint, Calculator, the pre-installed games, etc work fine but when you use Windows Media Center, I think that may still work, definitely for DVD or CD but I'm unsure about TV tuners and stuff such as Netflix on there. As for Windows Media Guide, that is shut down but Windows Media Player may still work. And IE is pretty much unusable. If you want to download anything you have to get version from 2014-2015 or it refuses to install. Gaming on it may not work too well unless you use games from that era and even then you may still experience issues as Vista wasn't exactly hailed for it's compatibility and reliability.