Help needed! Windows install

edited May 2017 in Software
Hello, I've been having trouble installing Windows 98 on a Compaq Deskpro EN.

When I got the pc it came with a 6gb hard drive with 2000 on it, which runs perfectly fine. However, I wanted to run some dos games and use 98 so I tried installing it, as it is the OS the computer originally came with. But, I can't get it to work right. Whenever it installs it only boots to this (in safe mode it's the same but with SAFE MODE in all 4 corners).

XVkYCfv.jpg

Could it be that I'm using a 40gb hard drive? It's partitioned with FDISK as an 8gb FAT32 partition, and I know the drive works. I honestly can't think of anything else that could be messing with it, as 2000 works great.

I have tried to install 95, and it worked, but when I tried to update it to 98 it shows the same blue screen (it's running 98). I can't get 95 to install now.

Oh, and when I hit ctrl-alt-del twice in this state I get this.
yDyal0o.jpg
and occasionally this
aB2blLs.jpg

Any help for this confusion is appreciated!

Comments

• Well, deskpro ENs officially supported 95 OSR2 and 98.

Are you using Windows 98 first edition? If so I strongly suggest using second edition instead. Also, I would suggest wiping any previous traces of Windows 9x before re-installing.

A 40 GB hard drive and FAT32 should be perfectly fine on this machine.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Well, deskpro ENs officially supported 95 OSR2 and 98.

Are you using Windows 98 first edition? If so I strongly suggest using second edition instead. Also, I would suggest wiping any previous traces of Windows 9x before re-installing.

A 40 GB hard drive and FAT32 should be perfectly fine on this machine.
    I'm trying to use SE. I have tried both the OEM and retail, and I have wiped the hard drive each time before installing.
    Currently I have DOS 7.1 installed and that is working just fine, but I normally just try to install Windows with a clean hd.
  • I think you should have tried DOSBOX ,it runs perfectly on Windows 2000