Trouble with NEC CD-ROM

edited May 2017 in Hardware
I have an NEC 2v IDE CD-ROM drive installed into my machine through a IDE ISA device (it's what came with the device along with a SB16 Value) and every time I try to access the card, I get a "drive not ready" error. I've tried a few different CDs and that doesn't seem to help, neither does plugging the CD-ROM into the HDD IDE cable and setting the CD-ROM drive to slave. In both situations IDE_NEC.SYS (the 2v driver) and MSCDEX recognized the drive, but it still fails to read when I access the drive on "D:"

I suspect the problem is that while the drive is technically a "2vi" drive and the drivers I'm using are for a "2vi" CDROM, NEC has separate "2v + SB16" driver listed (that are, of-course, corrupted when I try to install them) and I may be S.O.L. if that is the case. ):

I've cleaned the drive inside and out also.

Update: The separate driver was just the SB16 driver, nothing more. Installed and working w/o problems. For clarity, the SB16 driver is functioning, not the NEC CD-ROM. All of this doesn't matter anyway, this thread can be deleted, because the 25 year old OEM HDD shit itself yesterday lol

Comments

• It sounds to me like the CD drive was also toast. CD drives fail quite easily and it is not always obvious where the problem is, especially if they still seem to spin up properly. If this is a standard form desktop IDE drive, I would just hunt down a later model IDE CD/DVD drive or use an SATA adaptor. Of course now you are going to need a new hard drive too.
  • Knocked out both problems by ordering an IDE-CF + 2GB CF card.

I suspect now it was a faulty laser, maybe I'll take a look at it later, maybe I'll take it to a range and put holes in it.
  • Fixed. Turns out the 3rd CD-ROM with the proper OEM driver and it finally worked.