Miraculix OS

edited September 2004 in Software

Comments

• And this is?
  • wow that server is slooooooooow
  • Narod is like 500bps, I'm getting it @ will try it...

-Q
  • why do they only go at 500 bytes? This makes me feel like I'm on dail-up again....
  • Its in Russia and they have slow internet
  • dialup sucks
  • Indeed it does
  • its stupid why the hell do they call it 56k? most i ever got was 28......
  • Ive seen 53K on it, or in MrCleans Packard Bell's case, 57K.
  • ... that seems to be a problem with your ISP
    I can get 52k with my dell and 50.6k with my other computers external modem (they each take turns using one)

Although, no one can get higher then 53k because the FCC says it is too much voltage being put on the phone lines.
  • must be another UK thing i know of noone who gets more than 40k
  • Although, no one can get higher then 53k because the FCC says it is too much voltage being put on the phone lines.

YSE! I was just about to bring up that point.

So why do they make 56K modems? Modem networking was never in and dialup is 53K
  • cos n00bs will buy them thinking they will get "high speed"
  • LOL

They buy 256 ISDN modems and try them with AOL and cant figure out why it doesnt work
  • oh no n00bs won't understand what that is!
  • LOL

W@W 256K, this must be fast!
  • the fastest ISDN you get here is 64k i think
  • ISDN is 128K or T1, depending on what svc level you buy.

-Q
  • The thing that sux here is that there is no high speed near:

Sometimes it is just the avalibility of high speed. Right now, I am checking broadband reports everyday waiting for something to popup.

But i got real dissapointed today.... It said that DSL was in our area, ( i am less than 2 mi away from the CO) and I called up this DSL providor, but they sais they dont provide service in our area. but soon they will.

Anyways, back to the subject 56k is really not that bad. SOmetimes it is a backup just in case that a DSL/Cable/Sattellite providor is not available.
  • That Miraculix OS keeps telling me that I've got a bad sector, I've tried on many floppies AND in a VM. Anyone else have this problem?

-Q

PS. Anyone else check out the bootscreen?
  • does Miraculix OS have a GUI? Maybe the OS has a fault?
  • I think it's too small for a GUI. I don't know though. I think it's the OS. I mean if it says there's a bad sector on a virtual floppy there's cause for concern.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    I think it's too small for a GUI. I don't know though. I think it's the OS. I mean if it says there's a bad sector on a virtual floppy there's cause for concern.

-Q

maby the floppy that was imaged from a bad one
  • Could be. I have a feeling it's not my fault however...

-Q
  • Yeah, OR the download could be corrupt becuase of slowness
  • If the download were corrupted, winrar would tell you. I also had bootsector problems... Are we supposed to try booting from a floppy? Maybe we are supposed to install it over an existing os...try it with dos and see what happens.
  • Oh, forgot about winRAR telling you
  • Its in Russia and they have slow internet

i have 10 Megabits/s and planning to have 100Megabits/s

and it is slow only because it is a FREE hosting
  • Yay! I'm jealeous... I want @ least 128Kb/s...